Looking for Bitlocker password requirements RRS feed

• Question

• I'm developing an app that automatically bitlockers a volume with a "PassPhrase" (not the 48 numeric password, a user password). I've searched for the Bitlocker password/PassPhrase requirements and came up empty so I guessed 8 chars in length, a number, upper case char and a special symbol as the pw requirements.

What are the Bitlocker password requirements?

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 7:54 PM

Answers

• I'm developing an app that automatically bitlockers a volume with a "PassPhrase" (not the 48 numeric password, a user password). I've searched for the Bitlocker password/PassPhrase requirements and came up empty so I guessed 8 chars in length, a number, upper case char and a special symbol as the pw requirements.

As per http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/learn-more-about-bitlocker-drive-encryption

When enabling BitLocker on fixed or removable data drives, BitLocker can use the following unlock methods:

• Password. You can use a password to unlock fixed data drives (such as internal hard drives) and removable data drives (such as external hard drives and USB flash drives). Group Policy settings can be used to set minimum password length.

Using gpedit.msc, navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Bitlocker Drive Encryption.  There you can set the password policy for the machine.  See the following screen shots -

and

• Edited by RLWA32 Tuesday, March 8, 2016 8:50 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by Joel_Z Tuesday, March 8, 2016 9:42 PM
    Tuesday, March 8, 2016 8:05 PM

All replies

As per http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/learn-more-about-bitlocker-drive-encryption

When enabling BitLocker on fixed or removable data drives, BitLocker can use the following unlock methods:

• Password. You can use a password to unlock fixed data drives (such as internal hard drives) and removable data drives (such as external hard drives and USB flash drives). Group Policy settings can be used to set minimum password length.

Using gpedit.msc, navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Bitlocker Drive Encryption.  There you can set the password policy for the machine.  See the following screen shots -

and

• Edited by RLWA32 Tuesday, March 8, 2016 8:50 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by Joel_Z Tuesday, March 8, 2016 9:42 PM
    Tuesday, March 8, 2016 8:05 PM
  • It sounds like to get the pw requirements I need to look to the group policy and evaluate several different settings which include (but not limited to) if the machine is on a domain. Thanks, RLWA32! 
    Tuesday, March 8, 2016 9:45 PM