none
Windows 8/8.1 App and Windows 10 UWP Co-Existing RRS feed

• Question

• I have existing Apps in the store that are Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 8/8.1 Universal Apps. I would like to make a Windows 10 UWP version but keep the Windows 8/8.1 versions.

I would like to achieve the following as part of the process:

- Existing customers who have purchased the Windows 8/8.1 version will be able to use the Windows 10 UWP version for free

- Existing customers still on Windows 8/8.1 can still use the app

- I can push updates to each version independently

Based on my wish list above I have the following questions:

1) Can I deploy different packages to the same "App definition" in the store? So I can submit one package for Windows 10 UWP and a different package for Windows 8/8.1? But from a license perspective they are the same?

2) I think it would be easier to leave the Windows 8/8.1 solution as is in Visual Studio and just create a new Solution for the Windows 10 UWP version. Is this an option or do I need to upgrade the solution and add the Windows 10 UWP project to it? Is there a store deployment constraint that would require this?

Thanks for your suggestions

JS

Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:32 AM

Answers

• So long as the IDs match the different versions are considered the same app and work as you describe.

1) Yes. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/guidance-for-app-package-management

2) The store doesn't care how you manage your source projects. They can be unrelated code bases (e.g. one could be JavaScript and the other C++). You'll want to keep the 8.1 and UWP branches separate if you intend to maintain the old version (highly recommended ;) ).

• Marked as answer by jsullyboy2 Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:08 AM
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:03 AM

All replies

• So long as the IDs match the different versions are considered the same app and work as you describe.

1) Yes. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/guidance-for-app-package-management

2) The store doesn't care how you manage your source projects. They can be unrelated code bases (e.g. one could be JavaScript and the other C++). You'll want to keep the 8.1 and UWP branches separate if you intend to maintain the old version (highly recommended ;) ).

• Marked as answer by jsullyboy2 Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:08 AM
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:03 AM
  • Thanks Rob
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:08 AM