none
When DPInst requests 'reboot' after driver installation? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to install a DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) driver on an IoT device.

The device uses Windows 10 IoT Enterprise.

Usually, I can install it with DPInst successfully.

But the DPInst document says that DPInst may request 'reboot' after execution,

and DPInst returns an exit code with MSB of 0x40 in that case. 

(c.f. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ff544790(v=vs.96)  )

So I want to know the condition when DPInst requests 'reboot' after execution,

because its file system cannot be modified and all the contents would be reset after reboot.

The driver is STTube driver by STMicroelectronics.

• Edited by mkuma1 Monday, December 17, 2018 8:30 AM
    Monday, December 17, 2018 8:22 AM

Answers

• Dpinst is just a wrapper over the os driver install APIs. Dpinst will return a reboot is required when the OS tells it is necessary. This typically happens when the previously loaded driver does not unload or the files are in use and can not be copied. There are other scenarios which will also cause a reboot

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, December 17, 2018 3:28 PM

All replies

• Dpinst is just a wrapper over the os driver install APIs. Dpinst will return a reboot is required when the OS tells it is necessary. This typically happens when the previously loaded driver does not unload or the files are in use and can not be copied. There are other scenarios which will also cause a reboot

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, December 17, 2018 3:28 PM
  • Thanks for quick reply.

The typical 2 cases cannot happen if the driver is not installed yet on that device, right?

If so, it would never happen in our case.

Then, what are "other scenarios" which will also cause a reboot?

• Edited by mkuma1 Tuesday, December 18, 2018 12:13 AM
    Tuesday, December 18, 2018 12:12 AM
  • I found related documents in Microsoft Docs.

Device Installations and System Restarts

Then, I understand most PNP device drivers don't require reboot except few cases of updating system boot devices.

I could make sure that reboot is not required in my case.

Thanks, Doron.

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 7:58 AM