SSRS 2017 - Mobile Report Data Cache RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have built a mobile report using Mobile Reports Publisher and deployed it to SSRS Web portal 2017.

The report is using a few large datasets so I have set the datasets Caching to refresh at 2am. I can see in the cache refresh plan history that the job has successfully run at 2am

After the cache refresh the first time the report is viewed it takes ages to load, is this normal behaviour? What's the purpose of the cache refresh at 2am if it still impacts the user on first view of the report?

Subsequent viewing of the report is quick until the cache refreshes again at 2am.

Thanks for your help.

Moe

Friday, December 8, 2017 9:21 AM

All replies

• Hi MSBIKB,

This is quite usual thing when you have big data loads happen every nightly or hourly. What you can do to overcome this is to set a report rendering through a process right after your data load process finishes.

It will make your cache warm for the users when they arrive in the morning. You can use SSIS package to automate this report rendering task & schedule it.

Please let me know if this helps. Hopefully i have answered you correctly.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Friday, December 8, 2017 8:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi MSBIKB,

In your scenario, you said the first view is slow and the subsequent view is quick after you set refresh, right?

Based on my research, to enable caching for a shared dataset, you must select the cache option on the shared dataset. After caching is enabled, the query results for a shared dataset are copied to the cache on first use. So the first view might be slow. And you might use parameter in datset or report, you must specify static default values for each parameter . To cache a shared dataset for multiple combinations of parameters, you must create a separate cache refresh plan for each combination of values.

In addition, I am not sure whether the schedule of cache refresh plan cause this issue. You could try to modify it to refresh per hour to see whether it works or not. 

You could refer to this blog and Cache Shared Datasets for details.

Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 11, 2017 6:34 AM
  • I am trying to create Cache refresh plans for each combination of parameters. Will update if performance gets improve.

Thanks Shiven:) If Answer is Helpful, Please Vote

Friday, July 13, 2018 12:36 AM