none
LDNetwork.GetGameData problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all!

As you probably know, I've been using Litdevs LDNetwork.GetGameData (and set) for my Armored assault program. 

But, I'v ran into a problem. When I have other people try this program, it will randomly give the error: 

LDNetwork.GetGameData could not connect to remote server

I can't seem to write a program that will replicate this, so I don't quite know what you guys will be able to do about it. But I thought Id give it a try. :D 

Also, with some people, they can't connect to the remote server at all (they have internet and have made an exception in the firewall)

Thanks!

It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" Romans 14:11

Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:38 PM
    Answerer

Answers

• mmm, if he can't access my website then obviously this is why the gamedata stuff on the same site doesn't work.

Why he can't access my website I'm afraid I have no idea - its a pretty normal free web hosting.  I guess it could be blacklisted by his ISP or something strange like that, or his PC is simply not up to it or fire-walled in some way, sorry.

Saturday, April 26, 2014 10:09 PM

All replies

• I use a free web hosting for this so it may be down sometimes - it is possible that multiple queries at the same time cause problems but these should be rare, or even that the web hoster limits multiple access in some way?

If some-one has consistent problems, perhaps they could try pasting the following into a browser title bar as a test.

http://litdev.hostoi.com/gamedata/server.php?program=MyTest&action=0&info=

It should then display

1=Hello World;

Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:06 PM
  • Litdev

If I was a billionaire I would buy you a premium website and offer you any other resources you needed.

Always grateful...

Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:26 PM
  • Hmm. 

I had my one friend try it (the one that it worked off and on for) and it worked just fine. the other friend hasn't gotten back to me yet.

I also conducted a test of my own.

I ran this code here:

GraphicsWindow.Show()
    LDUtilities.ExitOnClose = "False"
    For i = 1 To 10 
      LDNetwork.SetGameData("Test" + i,"Value")
    EndFor
    While 1 = 1 
      For i = 1 To 10 
        LDNetwork.GetGameData("Test" + i)
    EndFor
      EndWhile

then pressed the escape button to close it (which all it did was close the interface, It was still running in the background) then I ran 6 more and closed them. So I have 7 processes of the same program going at once. to see if it would overload the website. Nothing happened.

It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" Romans 14:11

Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:54 PM
    Answerer
  • By 'nothing happened' I assume it didn't report an error, i.e. it worked fine.

I ran your test with a TextWindow.WriteLine(LDNetwork.GetGameData("Test" + i)) and this worked OK.

If you do get the error can you post the exact wording of the error message.  I assume this a message that appears in the TextWindow.

PS try not to do too many of these continuous repeat tests, don't leave it running overnight!  You might get me banned :(
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:04 PM
  • PS try not to do too many of these continuous repeat tests, don't leave it running overnight!  You might get me banned :(

I thought of that :D

So I just had the friend that it wouldn't work at all for try the url you gave me and it said "connection timed out."

he does have internet...

Friday, April 25, 2014 2:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Can he access http://litdev.hostoi.com ?

So he can access my site but it timeout using http://litdev.hostoi.com/gamedata/server.php?program=MyTest&action=0&info=

In this case internet access to my site is OK, but something is giving a timeout for the php request.  Whether this is coming from my site or from his PC or IPS connection etc I am not sure.  I sort of think it may be a timeout by his PC or ISP rather than my site since I can't see why my web hoster would behave differently for different requests?

What OS is he using and is the internet connection reasonably fast?

Friday, April 25, 2014 3:20 PM
  • I will see and then get back to you.

Friday, April 25, 2014 5:29 PM
    Answerer
  • Ok. so he is using Windows xp service pack 2, with mediocre internet speed.

he can't even connect to http://litdev.hostoi.com

Saturday, April 26, 2014 9:40 PM
    Answerer
  • mmm, if he can't access my website then obviously this is why the gamedata stuff on the same site doesn't work.

Why he can't access my website I'm afraid I have no idea - its a pretty normal free web hosting.  I guess it could be blacklisted by his ISP or something strange like that, or his PC is simply not up to it or fire-walled in some way, sorry.

Saturday, April 26, 2014 10:09 PM
  • He said that he turned off his firewall with no effect.

Sunday, April 27, 2014 12:32 AM
    Answerer
  • I think there is something wrong at his end if he cannot connect to http://litdev.hostoi.com
    Sunday, April 27, 2014 10:52 AM
  • I noticed that my free web hoster started putting popup adds for a sister organisation on the litdev.hostoi.com site - this could have been the issue - I removed them, but they may reappear - perhaps time for a new hoster.
    Monday, May 12, 2014 12:08 PM
  • I think the 7-Zip link has changed as well.
    Monday, May 12, 2014 12:44 PM
  • I think the 7-Zip link has changed as well.

Thanks
    Monday, May 12, 2014 5:26 PM
  • You checked out Weebly? (www.weebly.com)

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:24 AM
    Answerer
  • You checked out Weebly? (www.weebly.com)

Thanks for the tip - I have a couple sites and do have to move them every so often.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 6:40 PM
  • So I tried the game and it started glitching again, so I immediately tried to go to http://litdev.hostoi.com but it wouldn't connect. so yeah. I think it is the web site.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 2:15 PM
    Answerer
  • I think the link is bad (probably created by me), it is pointing to http://litdev.hostoi.comhttp// when it should be http://litdev.hostoi.com.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2014 4:09 PM
  • Nope. I'm sure I got the link right.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:36 AM
    Answerer
  • Has this been resolved?

Friday, July 11, 2014 3:53 PM
    Answerer
  • I just tried the link in litdevs answer of  July 09, 2014 and it worked. Have you tried it recently?

Jan [ WhTurner ] The Netherlands

Friday, July 11, 2014 4:50 PM
    Answerer
  • I think the problem with the link is at least intermittent and may be on your side somehow, but I put extension on TechNet Gallery too.

Friday, July 11, 2014 5:38 PM
  • Game data is working for me.

I plan on using it for a leaders board.

Is there a limit to how much we can upload?

And is it uploaded to a free web hosting provider?

Friday, July 11, 2014 10:57 PM
  • It uses a free web hoster, and really it should be limited to scores and key game data (e.g. not for databases or timings of when every key was pressed etc).

If you have a web hosting site I can give the server side php and the extension C# code is already public and could be modified.

Saturday, July 12, 2014 9:04 AM
  • Yeah that would be great litdev!

I have no idea how to upload a script and get it to run though.

Saturday, July 12, 2014 11:00 AM
  • First you need a website somewhere that can run php (most can) and know how to create folders and get files uploaded (there will be an ftp address and password).

I have just uploaded extension and in the zip is a new folder called server, in it are two folders (gamedata and highscore) which in turn each contain a php script.  Upload these keeping the gamedata or highscore folders.

When you get this done or have problems reply back.

Sunday, July 13, 2014 3:38 PM
  • Works great so far! 

You don't have any XML for the LDUtilities.NetworkURL though.

Monday, July 14, 2014 9:57 PM
    Answerer
  • No, I hid this from intellisense on this test version - if it all works I will add it.
    Monday, July 14, 2014 10:11 PM
  • I've got troubles on my end.

The closest success I could get is: (I had to upload as png then rename to #.php, so icould create a folder)

I've got 3 different hosts and they all seem determined to make anything I want to try impossible.

Can someone suggest a different host for me?

Hey Zock, are you using weebly free hosting? Has it given you any grief?

Monday, July 14, 2014 11:54 PM
  • Yay... got it working!

I think I was putting the folders in the wrong folder i.e. root

Found a nice new host as well.:)  I might build my own site on this using php/html/sql. Some fun learning to be had here.

Thanks litdev

Thursday, July 31, 2014 10:46 AM