none
Report does not fill complete page RRS feed

• Question

• I am somewhat new to reportViewer, so please bear with me. I have created a report, and although I set the footer to appear only on the last page, it appears on every page but the first, on a 2+ page report. I also noticed that the first page has a big gap between the bottom margin and the end of the data table on the first page (about the size of what the footer would be....). There is room for about 6-9 more records before printing the next page.

Any ideas what i am doing wrong? What info. can I give you to help me out?

Thanks for your replies.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 4:42 PM

All replies

• What expression did you use, and where did you place it, to have the footer appear only on the last page?  This is probably something very simple to fix, don't worry <s>.

>L<

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:06 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, Lisa.

Actually I set the footer to show only on the last page at design time, using one of the properties of the footer in VS2005. (Print on first pageis false, print on last page is true).

Actually, i have overcome the hurdle of repeating footers...but my first page (when there are 2+ pages) will leave a gap at the bottom of the page that is exactly the same size if the footer were to appear on the first page. So, the report viewer knows I do not want a footer on the first page, but maintians a blank space on the page as if the footer were there. My footer is very large, so it is a significant loss of real estate in the PDF document.

Hopefully that makes sense. Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:14 PM
  • I don't think that "print on last page true" means "show only on the last page".  I think those checkboxes allow you to omit the footers on the two end pages, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't print on the middle pages, if you see what I mean <s>.

Your explanation makes perfect sense, but I don't think you can "get there from here" using a page footer, because the page footer height can't be an expression and as you've seen, the space is still reserved for it even when its content doesn't show.

I'm not sure what your report layout looks like, but a better approach might be a table footer (or something similar if this report's data region is not a table footer).  You can make it as high as it needs to be -- merge its cells, drag a rectangle into the cell, and put your footer contents in there -- and it will only ever appear at the end of that table which, for most simple report layouts, is the last page of the report.  The drawback here is that you can't control the position of the footer on the page, so that if your table ends up "short" your footer is not at the bottom.  Sometimes you can do it with padding  or borders.

Is *this* making sense? <s> I'm afraid it might not help you, depending on the needs of this particular report.

>L<

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 7:27 PM
  • Lisa,

I understand what you are saying. I will give it a try. Now that's what I call "thinking outside the box!"

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 9:03 PM