locked
admin rights for Outlook 2007 com dll RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a addin com dll  for outlook . The dll works fine in WIN XP but in VISTA it shows many errors.When i run the Outlook by using Run as Administrator the dll works fine. I have added the manifest to the dll for the admin rights.

    By referring through the forums I found out that the dll acquires the rights of the process which has executed it.


    It looks  as if the admin rights is the problem . Is there anyway that i can slove this  problem?
    Friday, November 16, 2007 8:04 AM

All replies

  • The only thing to do is go through the code and fix LUA issues so that your dll code can run without requiring Administrator rights. Running Outlook as an Administrator would be a very bad idea, as it's precisely the kind of application that gets targetted by malware writers.

     

    A good place to start looking into what changes you might need to make is the Application Compatibility Cookbook.

    Friday, November 16, 2007 10:02 AM
  • Is there any other way I can solve the problem without changing the code.
    If there is ,then please tell me about that. It looks as if i have to change a lot of code since nothing is working for me.I have also signed the dll but this has not solved the problem for me.
    Monday, November 19, 2007 9:29 AM
  • No, the only way for an Outlook plugin is to modify the code to run as a standard user.

     

    Monday, November 19, 2007 12:08 PM