TFS Email Alerts not Sending RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've been working on this most of the day and could do with some help. I've set up some alerts for changes to build status and people over-riding check in policies, but I'm not receiving them. As far as I'm aware several users have set up alerts and they have never worked. I have checked that the email alert notification is activated on the TFS Administration Console. I have checked that the Background Job Agent service is running on the app tier, and that the user is the TFS Service account. I have used telnet to send an email from the TFS Server, and even sent an email as the TFS Service account (using "runas" cmd line) and I can send an email. The SMTP server does not ask for authentication or credentials, so I doubt it is anything to do with the account that the service is running under anyway.

I've gone through the diagnostics using Powershell and the error that I get is

"Exception: System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender"

It baffles me that I have setup everything correctly, and been through all the checks that have been specified by other answers in this forum, and yet there are still issues. Anyone have any suggestions?

Monday, October 3, 2011 6:36 PM

All replies

• By the "I've gone through the diagnostics using Powershell" do you refer to Grant Hollidays post on Diagnosing email and SOAP subscription failures http://blogs.msdn.com/b/granth/archive/2009/10/28/tfs2010-diagnosing-email-and-soap-subscription-failures.aspx ?

Monday, October 3, 2011 6:51 PM
  • Hi Mattias,

yes I've been through that and that is how I came to the following error:

"Exception: System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender"

I don't have a web service listening for SOAP so I can't tell if there's an issues there. But I do know that I can send emails using Putty from the TFS Server as the service account that is running the background job agent, but I cannot get a notification email sent when I trigger an alert.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:13 AM
  • Hi RichardLee101,

Thank you for your post.

According to your description of the issue, here are some situations i want to clarify from you:
    1. Whether all other accounts could not receive emails when the email alert notification is valid?
    2. Could you send and receive emails through your SMTP? This is in order to diagnose problem is accour in SMTP or TFS email alter.

First, please make sure your email system could be used.

Here are some links for you to refer:

1. http://forums.asp.net/t/966344.aspx/1

2. http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/12/10/432854.aspx

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:42 AM
  • hi ,i also confront this kind of issues,that i can't receive alert mail but i figure it out after i browse this forums here is my way to resolve my problem,hope it can help you i configure mail alert in the tfs admin\tfs application tier as smtp host:my domain smtp server,sender address:my domain account,which is also the administrator of tfs this will work when i configured the smtp host as one server which i built up by myself ,i can't receive any mails ,and this issue bothered me a long time ,at last ,i figure it out that i should try my domain smtp server,and problem resolved
    Friday, November 25, 2011 8:15 AM