Bing Translator not working RRS feed

• Question

• I've used Bing Translator for several years but just this last month, Translator is not working. What ever text I enter in the left side does not translate to the right side. It just displays the exact same text I entered. What's wrong?
    Wednesday, July 1, 2015 5:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thank you for reporting the issue.

Any open session expires after 12 hours. Please try to exit and reopen the browser.

If that doesn't help: Can you let us know which OS and browser you are using? Do you remember when it failed the first time? It is always failing or just sometimes?

Chris Wendt
    Microsoft Translator

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 7:34 PM
  • I have the same issue as the original poster in Chrome 43 (current version), Firefox 38, and Internet Explorer 11 on a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit PC.

When manually typing in a text string, or copy/pasting from another source, the auto-detect language will always choose "English" and the translation result will just be a repeat of whatever was entered.  I've confirmed that it will still auto-detect as "English" even when entering Asian characters.

Entering an http address and hitting translate will correctly launch a second window and translate it.

Thursday, July 2, 2015 3:02 AM
  • We haven't been able to repro this issue. Can you share a network trace (go into F12 tools and look at the Network tab) so that we can narrow down to what data center this is happening on?

Thanks,

Tanvi Surti

Microsoft Translator

Thursday, July 2, 2015 6:28 PM
  • I'm having the same problem.
    Monday, July 6, 2015 3:16 PM
  • If you're still having this issue, can you share a network trace (go into F12 tools and look at the Network tab) so that we can narrow down to what data center this is happening on?

Thank you.

Microsoft Translator team - www.microsoft.com/Translator

Monday, July 6, 2015 4:48 PM
  • If that doesn't help: Can you let us know which OS and browser you are using? Do you remember when it failed the first time? It is always failing or just sometimes?

Chris Wendt
    Microsoft Translator

Hi, I replied above with a traceroute.

My OS is OS X 10.10.4; I am experiencing this problem with Safari 8.0.7 and with both Firefox 38.0.5. and 39.0 to no avail. 

I really want this to start working for me again because, quite frankly, google translate sucks.

• Edited by Omerod Thursday, July 9, 2015 5:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 11:08 PM
  • I am experiencing the same problem using Microsoft edge on windows preview 10166, anything pasted into the text box disappears when pressing or selecting any other part of the screen, unusable at the moment.

Vv

Monday, July 13, 2015 1:32 PM
  • now i have the same problem, nothing is translated from left side... it does a copy and paste from left to right

Sunday, July 19, 2015 6:48 AM
  • I too am having a problem.  I am using Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium with the latest updates.  I tried using both Firefox 39.0 and Chrome Version 43.0.2357.134 m and both fail. 

But it isn't with all languages.  If I translate from English to German, Italian and some other languages, it works.   If I try an Eastern language like translating from English to Japanese or Chinese it does not work.  What happens is the English typed in the left source box appears in the right box where the translated text should be.

Some additional info.  I tried a VPN to a different country and still have the same translation problem.

I went through all the language translations and they all work except for three of them.  Chinese traditional, Chinese simplified and Japanese.

Update 7/19/2015 - I also tried Internet Explorer Version 11.0.9600.17914 and it fails when I try to translate from English to Chinese or Japanese.   This is the first time I've tried using the Bing Translator so I do not know if it ever worked before from my computer.  I ran some English to Japanese translations using Google Translate, Babylon, FreeTranslation.com and SysTranet.com and they all are able to translate from English to Japanese.   Just Bing has the problem.
    Sunday, July 19, 2015 8:49 AM
  • I have had this problem now for over 2 days. I am using window 7 home premium 64 bit service pack 1.  At least google is still working.
    Sunday, July 19, 2015 8:52 PM
  • I have the same problem!

I want to transform frome English to Chinese or English to Japanese or Chinese to English or Japanese to English or Chinese to Japanese..., but they don't work!

I have try on Windows 7 64bit or Windows 8.1 update1 with any browser (IE11, firefox, and Chrome), but all they don't work!

This was happened form this month begin!

Can help me?

Monday, July 20, 2015 7:06 AM
  • I have same problem.

Window Server 2008 Ent. R2 and Windows 7 pro 64bit, both are IE 11

Monday, July 20, 2015 9:24 AM
  • Thanks for your alert.

We are aware of Chinese<>English and Japanese<>English failures on bing.com/translator, and addressing it. Updates are here:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/38bc8927-8385-4e9f-a444-c8bebde50dd5/bing-translator-not-working?forum=translator

Chris Wendt
    Microsoft Translator

Monday, July 20, 2015 3:50 PM
  • is it auto update or we need to download some file above?

THANK YOU for the bing translater fix!

though this afternoon the error occur again but at least now is working!

TYVM!

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 11:30 AM
  • It can work now.

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 7:53 AM
  • Thanks, Mark and Yin,  for letting us know.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2015 3:31 PM
  • I am experiencing the same problem using Microsoft edge on windows preview 10166, anything pasted into the text box disappears when pressing or selecting any other part of the screen, unusable at the moment.

Vv

This is a different problem to most of the others described here. And it is exactly the problem I have been having.

But I have just discovered the solution, that is if you have it in your favourites list.....

Whenever I select "Bing Translator" from my favourites list, it performs exactly as Vv describes, in that all text disappears if you click anywhere (the Translate button for example).

As I can't post a link until my account has been verified and I have no idea how to do that and can find no immediate instructions about it you can copy and paste the following 4 lines as one address;

http://
    www.
    bing.com/
    translator

Open it and save it as your new favourite, notice it will show only as "Translator" not Bing Translator.

Check it works. And then delete the Bing Translator shortcut.

Hope that helps.

• Proposed as answer by angeloverhead Thursday, September 3, 2015 10:07 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 10:06 PM
  • Chris , 

still using Mac OS 10.9.5 and google browser but  Bing translate from Japanese to English does not work. Every time I press 'translate' the  JP text in box disappears and  "Enter text or webpage URL here" appears.

Same prob' as 3 months ago . I clicked on your answer (July 20 ) but the link does not chanage anything just directs me to  your other  message  in general discussion.

Started failing about 4~5 months ago same since.

pPase help with this -extremely frustrating

(Microscoft translate does not translate well enough.)

Gerald

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 1:56 AM