none
Windows Server Core & WDK: "ApiValidation: Error: A critical error occured while retrieving driver information." RRS feed

• Question

• Using a docker container using Windows 2016 Core, Server 2016-1709, or microsoft/windowservercore docker image, ApiValidator fails with generic errors.  

set-location $ApiValidationFolderX64

.\ApiValidator.exe -DriverPackagePath:$DriverPackagePath -SupportedApiXmlFiles:$SupportedApiXmlFiles 

ApiValidation: Error: A critical error occured while retrieving driver information.
    ApiValidation: Error: Test failed with error message: A critical error occured while retrieving driver information.
    I did not see any additional requirements from https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/windows-driver-kit .  Any ideas what I can do to make this run properly inside of a container?  I tried installing .net35 inside the container, but it still fails.   

Apppears to be similar to https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/106445/apivalidator-crashes-on-visual-studio-1540-preview.html ?  Not entirely sure.

• Edited by AcelinkIT Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:23 AM
    Sunday, November 5, 2017 5:40 AM

All replies

• looking through the process monitor logs, I was able to locate that aitstatic.exe was returning exit code 255.  However I am still unsure where to go from here.
    Monday, November 6, 2017 12:45 AM
  • ApiValidation.exe requires Aitstatic.exe.    Aitstatic.exe is located in the WDK but does not contain enough files to run properly on Windows Server 2016 Core Edition or Windows Server 2016-1709 release.   

The error is related to Aitstatic.exe searching for aepic.dll.  I found a workaround by copying a Win7 aespic.dll into the path.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:33 AM
  • 'Windows Server core versions are not supported by the WDK. You can see what versions of Windows are supported by WDK here in the “Additional information” section.' I would think that the WDK would not require the GUI based version of Windows in order to run properly. There has been a large push across all of Microsoft's tooling to offer gui-less offerings. This can be seen with the newest release of Server1709 not offering a GUI experience.
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:26 PM