How Metro App bind to my device or driver?

Question

•     We have write a camera preview metro app, now how to bind it with our camera device or our vendor driver?

Because we want to know that if the camera device /driver(vid/pid) is our product, the app is free,if the camera sensor is not our product/driver, some functions of the app is in-app purchase.

In fact, an idea is set a metadata, then declare the app as a privileged app, then metro app can access our driver with DeviceIOControl, if the app can't find the DeviceIOControl instance, we can judge the device is not ours.

Is it OK?

However it just applies to the external device, if our sensor is sold to OEM as a internal device, we can't access the driver of our device unless our app is added to the OEM internal metadata. It seems that is not a good idea.

Thanks in advance!

• Edited by denny_zhuyi Tuesday, December 03, 2013 8:02 AM
    Tuesday, December 03, 2013 8:00 AM

Answers

All replies

• It sounds like you are talking about two different scenarios. 

A companion app (http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Metro-style-device-app-for-4f39b7bf) would be distributed by the HIV or OEM and only available if that device is on the machine. 

In addition you want an app that would be available to everyone?

Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 8:36 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

It is not a device app. It just a camera preview app.So it would be available to everyone.

We want to realize that the users whose camera device and driver is not ours can't user

full function app . In other words some functions of app are restricted for them.

So our metro app must detect the device and driver and judge them whether are our

products no matter the device is internal or external hot plug .  Is there a way to achieve

what we need.

• Edited by denny_zhuyi Wednesday, December 04, 2013 2:43 AM
    Wednesday, December 04, 2013 2:35 AM
  •       The metadata I mentioned provides to set a privileged app which is allowed to access

custom driver. So I say it may be a method to judge whether is our driver and device

according to communicate with driver.

But the type of metadata contains two way: internal metadata( for internal deviec) and

Windows Store device app metadata (for external device).The internal metadata is set by

OEM.We can't tell them to add our app package name in the metadata. So we can't detect the

internal camera device whethrer is our product.

Could you supply a better method to help us ? Thank you!

• Edited by denny_zhuyi Wednesday, December 04, 2013 3:30 AM
    Wednesday, December 04, 2013 2:57 AM
  • As far as I know there is no way to achieve this other than what I specified.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 2:03 PM