Rights management within Team Foundation Server 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there an equivalent feature of Windows Rights Management for code stored in TFS?  We want to control what developers can do with code in TFS to prevent loss of intellectual property. We would like to perform such as the following:

• prevent printing it out.
    • prevent copy and pasting into an application other than Visual Studio or SQL Management Studio. So they can't email code some where.
    • prevent saving to a local file.  Only able to save to TFS once it is part of TFS.
    • prevent save to the same file / code base after it is checked in. Must be a new file or iteration.   

There are similar controls with Windows Rights Management.  Has it been developed for TFS?

The Computer Shogun
    Monday, March 14, 2011 1:28 AM

Answers

• Hi jaxdagger,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry for any inconvenience, as far as I know, there have no this feature in TFS.

If you want to limit the developers to prevent loss of intellectual property using that methods, I think you can try this workaround: install TFS clients on the Hyper-V machine, all the developers can only remote to the Hyper-V machine from their local machine, then prevent the print function on the Hyper-V machine, prevent the Copy and Paste function from Hyper-v machine to local machine, prevent the email function on the Hyper-V machine and so on.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:09 AM

All replies

• Nope...  if you have rights to the code, you have the code...    Would be a good idea though.
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCTS:TFS 2010, SQL 2005
    techsterity.wordpress.com
    Monday, March 14, 2011 4:36 AM
  • Hi jaxdagger,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry for any inconvenience, as far as I know, there have no this feature in TFS.

If you want to limit the developers to prevent loss of intellectual property using that methods, I think you can try this workaround: install TFS clients on the Hyper-V machine, all the developers can only remote to the Hyper-V machine from their local machine, then prevent the print function on the Hyper-V machine, prevent the Copy and Paste function from Hyper-v machine to local machine, prevent the email function on the Hyper-V machine and so on.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:09 AM
  • I second John's idea.

There is no out of box feature and instead of reinventing the wheel, probably we can consider reusing features of virtualization.

--SS

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:08 AM