For casual games, HTML5 or XAML, which one fits better?

Question

• Hi there,

I am new to metro style app development, and I would like to implement a casual game, it will:

1. have smooth animated effect

2. allow online multi-user competition

3. allow online result share to facebook/twitter

I am just getting started, should I use HTML5 or XAML?  what's their pros and cons?

Thanks.
    • Edited by Tintin- Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:28 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:27 AM

Answers

• The general answer to "which language should I use" is "whichever you are more familiar with".  I expect Jeff would pick HTML for himself and I'm using Xaml. Both of us would be right.

Both HTML and Xaml can be used to write casual games.  HTML has the <canvas> and <svg> elements and Xaml has WriteableBitmap and the Windows.Ui.Xaml.Shapes namespace.  Both also have the full array of higher level controls. Depending on what and how much you want to animate will determine which is most appropriate. 

Both have access to the same WinRT networking stack for communicating with your online service and facebook.

There are several game samples using HTML at http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/site/search?query=game&f%5B0%5D.Value=game&f%5B0%5D.Type=SearchText&ac=8 so if you're just getting started you may want to look into those.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Tintin- Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:05 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Tin,

Are you more comfortable programming in HTML and Javascript or C# and XAML?

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 1:18 PM
  •  

I am familiar with silverlight (C# and xaml), for HTML/javascript, I used them in simple implementations.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:28 AM
  • The general answer to "which language should I use" is "whichever you are more familiar with".  I expect Jeff would pick HTML for himself and I'm using Xaml. Both of us would be right.

Both HTML and Xaml can be used to write casual games.  HTML has the <canvas> and <svg> elements and Xaml has WriteableBitmap and the Windows.Ui.Xaml.Shapes namespace.  Both also have the full array of higher level controls. Depending on what and how much you want to animate will determine which is most appropriate. 

Both have access to the same WinRT networking stack for communicating with your online service and facebook.

There are several game samples using HTML at http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/site/search?query=game&f%5B0%5D.Value=game&f%5B0%5D.Type=SearchText&ac=8 so if you're just getting started you may want to look into those.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Tintin- Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:05 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:45 AM
  • Thanks for both of your answers, I think I'd pick something I am familiar with. :)

Thanks.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:05 AM