Visual Studio 2012 C++ Redistributables

Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to deploy my metro app on a machine that does not have Visual Studio installed and I understand that I need the Visual C++ Runtime Package built in as an extension to my project. However, I'm unable to find such package on my machine. I go into my references of my project and try to add the extension from Windows->Extensions, but the runtime package is not there.

Is there somewhere I can download these packages? Is it located somewhere else?

I just tried a fresh uninstall of Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate.

Thanks!
    Alex.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Alex,

You can download this version
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:28 AM
  • I've downloaded both the x86 and x64, and still not seeing them in the 'Windows->Extensions' section of the add references.

Where do they get installed locally so I can browse for them.

Thanks!

Friday, August 17, 2012 1:30 PM
  • Those are the desktop app redistributable.

The VCLibs used by your app are already on the system. You shouldn't need to add anything explicitly.

Are you are running into an actual problem or are you just worried that you may do so? If you are running into a problem can you please describe that in detail so we can try to address that?

--Rob

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:15 PM
    Owner
  • I'm running into the problem of my app not running on systems that do not have Visual Studio installed on. I'm trying to test creating app packages and deploying them on different systems to make sure my app works in different environments. However the apps just show the splash screen and then crash if Visual Studio is not installed so I'm assuming it's the Runtime Package that will fix this. If there is another option I'd be happy to do that.

Thanks!

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:49 PM
  • How are you deploying to other machines? Remote debugging has a checkbox to install the CRT on the target. Is that unchecked?
    Friday, August 17, 2012 10:50 PM
  • I'm building packages through the command in Visual Studio (Project->Store->Create App Package...). Not seeing any check boxes through that method.

I appreciate the help.

Monday, August 20, 2012 12:11 PM
  • Can you give specific steps? If you are manually copying the package to the target machine, you need to run the Add-AppDevPackage.ps1 file to install the app package (right-click, 'Run with Powershell'). Is that what you are doing? If so, can you send the PS output?
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:03 PM
  • Hi,

That is what I'm doing. The powershell output is as follows:

"Found developer package: D:\<Package Folder>\<Package Name>.appx

Installing developer package...

Found dependency package(s):

D:\<Package Folder>\Dependencies\x86\Microsoft.VCLibs.x86.Debug.11.appx

D:\<Package Folder>\Dependencies\x64\Microsoft.VCLibs.x64.Debug.11.appx

Success: Your developer package was successfully installed.

Press Enter to continue...:"

I've omitted the app name for disclosure reasons, but I don't believe the name makes a difference. I've also tried this on the C: drive with no difference so I am assuming that it doesn't make a difference.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Do you find an event in 1000 in the Application event log for your app (this indicates the app is actually crashing). If so, we can use these WER registry entries to save a dump of the crash for analysis:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps]
    "DumpFolder"=<path to folder where crash dump will be saved>
    "DumpCount"=dword:00000010
    "DumpType"=dword:00000002

This thread has some general initial steps to follow for investigating this type of problem.

Email me if you capture a crash dump to review: DavidLam AT Microsoft DOT com.

David Lamb

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:35 PM
  • Hi David,

I've just sent a crash dump along, let me know when you've received it.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:45 PM
  • Btw, see this blog post to find more information about how C++ Runtime is handled for Store apps:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2012/09/28/10354327.aspx

Raman Sharma | Program Manager, Visual C++ | @rasharm_msft

(if my post has answered your question, please consider using the 'mark as answer' feature in the forums to help others)

• Proposed as answer by Jesse Jiang Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:32 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 2:29 PM