Error installing Visual Studio Team Explorer

Question

• I'm having problems i installing Visual Studio Team Explorer.  I've tried installing on a fresh copy of Windows, on a copy with VS2008 (before SP1), on a copy with VS2008 post SP1, and in various orders on different versions of windows (2008 Server, Windows 7 RTM, Windows Vista)  The result is always the same.  The installation begins and a few minutes later fails.  The error message only states that the installation failed.  The installation log ( copied to http://www.j2i.net/assets/setuplog.txt ) contains mentions of errors but they aren't very meaningful to me.

Any clue why I am not able to install this?
    Joel Ivory Johnson
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Joel

Are you installing Team Explorer with quite mode?

Could you download the Team Explorer from here and try installing it again? A corruption of the installation source might caurse this issue.

Since the Visual Studio Shell already exists when you install Team Explorer. You can avoid the installation of the shell since it's common for Visual Studio and Team Explorer. Please take the following steps.

1.  Copy the TFC directory from the Team Explorer DVD to your hard drive or network share. 

2.  Open the TFC folder you just copied. 

3.  Open baseline.dat for editing. 

4.  Under section named "[Complete Component List]" near the top of the file, delete the line that reads "GFN_MID VS PPE". 

5.  Find the section named "[gencomp135]" and delete the entire section; that is, from "[gencomp135]" to the first blank line, inclusive. 

6.  Save baseline.dat. 

7.  Run setup.exe. 

Bill Wang

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Proposed as answer by Bill.Wang Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joel Ivory Johnson Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:08 PM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Joel

Are you installing Team Explorer with quite mode?

Could you download the Team Explorer from here and try installing it again? A corruption of the installation source might caurse this issue.

Since the Visual Studio Shell already exists when you install Team Explorer. You can avoid the installation of the shell since it's common for Visual Studio and Team Explorer. Please take the following steps.

1.  Copy the TFC directory from the Team Explorer DVD to your hard drive or network share. 

2.  Open the TFC folder you just copied. 

3.  Open baseline.dat for editing. 

4.  Under section named "[Complete Component List]" near the top of the file, delete the line that reads "GFN_MID VS PPE". 

5.  Find the section named "[gencomp135]" and delete the entire section; that is, from "[gencomp135]" to the first blank line, inclusive. 

6.  Save baseline.dat. 

7.  Run setup.exe. 

Bill Wang

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Proposed as answer by Bill.Wang Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joel Ivory Johnson Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:08 PM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:04 AM
  • For the sake of those (like myself) who may wander this way looking for answers...

I too had this problem. I'm installing Visual Studio 2008 from scratch on Windows 7 32-bit. I downloaded the TFC (from the same link provided by Bill Wang in his answer). Setup quickly moves through the first component (Visual Studio Shell) and then bombs. I tried the changes suggested here to baseline.dat. This didn't work for me. Setup gets about a fourth of the way through copying files, and then bombs saying it can't find needed components. I double checked my editing of the file several times and believe I made the changes as suggested here. Further research uncovered this blog post:

http://blogs.interknowlogy.com/billsheldon/archive/2007/11/23/22709.aspx

His suggestion worked for me. Basically, the standalone TFC doesn't work. But if you run setup from the TFC folder on the fullblown TFS DVD (a 1.3GB download) then it works. Took 45 minutes to download the ISO, but it was worth the wait to get TFC installed.

Like I said, FWIW!

Thursday, December 2, 2010 4:51 PM