How to make my credential provider always be displayed as default? RRS feed

• Question

• In other words, users always see my credential provider, they have to click "Switch user" in order to switch to other providers's tile.  I found in one document saying that "The Credential Provider most recently used for interactive logon will receive preference when multiple providers return a default tile. How do I get rid of the last logon provider?

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hello Tony, I also have a similar request from one of my customer. When they connect from a winxp to a windows 2008 R2 Terminal server, they want to see only the "smart card PIN provider" first as soon as the CNTRL+ALT+DEL pressed. I found couple of forums and there is a key called “LastLoggedonProvider“  under “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI” which has a default "provider". If we change the crdential provider GUID, it takes the specific one and allows you to logon. But setting this "permanently" seems to be impossible. i'm still working on it and let you know the outcome soon. 

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Hi TonyCan,

Try this. When implementing this method in ICredentialProvider

HRESULT YourSampleCredentialProvider::GetCredentialCount(
        DWORD* pdwCount,
        DWORD* pdwDefault,
        BOOL* pbAutoLogonWithDefault
    )

{ }

Assign *pdwDefault with a number, indicating which tile will be default. For example, set *pdwDefault=0;

Have a nice day :)

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:57 AM
  • Hi All,

Please help i have added a custom credential provider from SDK samples from microsoft and and also changed the registry values still it is showing default UI.

Thanks

Shinoy

Friday, October 11, 2013 9:19 AM
  • I know a bit late but this works perfectly for the credentials provider that I wrote and tested on Windows 10.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 7:38 PM
  • If i dont want password to be asked next time i login, I mean it should show the previous login method only used for logging into the system, What value should i use for pwdDefault?
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 6:39 AM