Cannot disable Mouse Sonar using SystemParametersInfo with SPI_SETMOUSESONAR RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to enable/disable the Mouse Sonar feature using my app.

Based on MSDN's reference article, I am supposed to do this using SystemParametersInfo function.

I can enable the feature by using the following code:

BOOL sonarStatus = TRUE;
    SystemParametersInfo(SPI_SETMOUSESONAR, 0, &sonarStatus, 0);

But when I disable it by change sonarStatus to FALSE, the change doesn't seem to be applied.

Is there something wrong with my understanding of the SystemParametersInfo function or the SPI_SETMOUSESONAR parameter?

Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:46 AM

Answers

• I've hit the same problem with SPI_SETFOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT.  The correct solution there was:

DWORD timeout = 1000; /* or whatever value */
    SystemParametersInfo(SPI_SETFOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT, 0, (void *) timeout, SPIF_UPDATEINIFILE | SPIF_SENDCHANGE);

I originally attempted to use &timeout as pvParam, but that just did not work.

• Marked as answer by tsukishiro Friday, January 10, 2014 12:58 AM
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:53 PM

All replies

• I can enable the feature by using the following code:

BOOL sonarStatus = TRUE;
    SystemParametersInfo(SPI_SETMOUSESONAR, 0, &sonarStatus, 0);

But when I disable it by change sonarStatus to FALSE, the change doesn't seem to be applied.
    Is there something wrong with my understanding of the SystemParametersInfo function or the SPI_SETMOUSESONAR parameter?

Try passing just TRUE or FALSE rather than a pointer to a TRUE/FALSE
    value.

Dave

Thursday, January 9, 2014 8:22 AM
  • I've hit the same problem with SPI_SETFOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT.  The correct solution there was:

DWORD timeout = 1000; /* or whatever value */
    SystemParametersInfo(SPI_SETFOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT, 0, (void *) timeout, SPIF_UPDATEINIFILE | SPIF_SENDCHANGE);

I originally attempted to use &timeout as pvParam, but that just did not work.

• Marked as answer by tsukishiro Friday, January 10, 2014 12:58 AM
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:53 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice but I have already tried that before I posted this question.

If I use TRUE or FALSE, I get a compile error like 'BOOL SystemParametersInfoW(UINT,UINT,PVOID,UINT)' : cannot convert argument 3 from 'bool' to 'PVOID'

Friday, January 10, 2014 12:55 AM
  • Hi Ranta,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I am now using the following code to enable Mouse Sonar:

SystemParametersInfo(SPI_SETMOUSESONAR, 0, (void *)TRUE, 0);

and to disable it, I just replace TRUE with FALSE and it works!

Friday, January 10, 2014 1:00 AM
  • Thanks for the advice but I have already tried that before I posted this question.
    If I use TRUE or FALSE, I get a compile error like 'BOOL SystemParametersInfoW(UINT,UINT,PVOID,UINT)' : cannot convert argument 3 from 'bool' to 'PVOID'

I see from your other post that you've sussed that you needed to
    provide a cast.

Dave

Friday, January 10, 2014 8:16 AM