none
Automatic user registraton using ASPNETDB.MDF does not work if SQL database runs on a PC different that IIS running on RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have developed a web site on my PC that uses ASPNETDB.MDF to perform user registration.  When I tried to up load to my site to the provider (DAILY RAZOR) they said they run their SQL databases on a machine different to the PC  that runs IIS.  Apparently, this means I can't use ASPNETDB.MDF for user registration.  Can anyone help clarify this point, and/or suggest a work around please.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Sinaja,

Welcome to MSDN forums.

Since your issue is related to ASP.NET, you could post your thread on ASP.NET Forum.
    This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you Ryan for your enthusiastic and friendly help. Ryan has come up with good suggestions.
    I'm glad to see your active participation and discussion in MSDN forums.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:09 AM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:09 AM

All replies

• Ah yes, that is the classic Windows Authentication double hop issue.  If the IIS web server and SQL Server database run on the same server then all is seamless the IIS Web server passes along the authenticated user credentials to the database.

However when they are on different servers the credentials will be Authenticated to the web server only and not passed onto the different SQL Server.  I believe ANONYMOUS is passed by default.

So yes, that is a known limitation.  You can google Windows Authentication double hop issue and read more about it.

As for a work around your web application can impersonate a single user, however you'd have to provide the credentials and it's limited to only that account for credentials.

And since it's a hosted service you may have to have you ISP set that up, I'm not 100% sure.

Ryan
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Hi Sinaja,

Welcome to MSDN forums.

Since your issue is related to ASP.NET, you could post your thread on ASP.NET Forum.
    This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you Ryan for your enthusiastic and friendly help. Ryan has come up with good suggestions.
    I'm glad to see your active participation and discussion in MSDN forums.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:09 AM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:09 AM