Create seperate entry in New Project Types in Visual Studio RRS feed

• General discussion

• I want to create a new entry in the Project Types list on Visual Studio 2005. The desired behavior would be for it to not appear under any of the existing entries like Visual C++, Other Languages, or Other Project Types, but for it to be a new, seperate entry. I already have created a wizard using the IDTWizard interface and vsz and vsdir files that appear under Visual C++, but that is not the desired behavior. If it helps, I create a vcproj file in the code. But it does not seem to affect anything since if I place the vsz and vsdir files in the VC#\CSharpProject my entry would appear under Visual C# as well. But I need it to appear a level above in the tree.

Further, if this can be achieved, I would like to create a custom Add New Item dialog which would contain only my templates rather than existing ones or under My Templates.

If anyone can guide me to a detailed guide about vsz and vsdir files that would be great. I feel it's just a matter of playing around with those files and placing them in the right folder, but I just can't seem to figure it out.

Thank you very much in advance.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 5:29 PM

All replies

• You have probably solved this or given up by now, but six months later here is the answer if it helps anyone:

I use project templates for my open source C# class object generator, data tier creator and stored procedure generator at http://radstudio.codeplx.com

First I am assuming you now how to export project templates, if you do not, read all about exporting project templates (real simple in recent versions of Visual Studio)

Take the exported Template, open c:\Users\[Users]My Documents\(Or Documents and Settings depending on OS version)\Visual Studio 2010 (or other)\Templates\Project Templates\C#\And create a folder for your app or type; I create a folder for 'Rad Studio' and all of my project templates (.zip files) show up in New Project Dialog.

I just tired to place a folder at the same root as the C# folder, but that didn't seem to work in the 30 seconds I tried.

But under C# you can place a folder and all of your templates show be one place.

Corby
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 5:23 AM