none
Question to install highly available (system resilience) WSP Enterprise server role? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

From the WSP documentation, I can install the WSP Enterprise server in a single machine with putting the database in the SQL cluster. Now, my question is:

How to provide high-availability in the WSP Enterprise Server role? It looks that installing WSP Enterprise Server role in multiple server with IIS is an option, but, how can we install multiple WSP Enterprise Servers using the same database?

Any ideas are much appreciated. Thanks.

Simon

Friday, March 9, 2012 2:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Simon,

Actually, you may update the connection string settings in enterprise server to make it point to an existing websitepanel database. Need to note that, if you are using the default account named WebsitePanel to connect to the old sql server, you will need to copy the password from the old es web.config connection string settings.

As far as I know, currently there's no way to point to an old existing database during wsp es installation. You may either temporarily point the database installation location to a non-wsp installed sql server and then use the above method to change the connection string, or install WSP manually. If you decide to install it manually, you may take advantage of the web deploy tool, aka msdeploy. However, this will only sync the site content and the iis related configurations for you. You will need to create some specific users/groups if you use wsp default accounts. For how to use web deploy tool, it is suggested you open a new thread to ask in IIS forums where is more specific.

Hope this helps. Feel free to let me know if you need more information, thanks.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com. Microsoft One Code Framework

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:36 AM

All replies

• Have you tried to set the same connection string in all WSP ES web.config files?

<connectionStrings>
        <add name="EnterpriseServer" connectionString="server=YOUR_DB_SERVER;database=WebsitePanel;uid=WebsitePanel;pwd=PWD;" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
     </connectionStrings>

Friday, March 9, 2012 11:49 AM
  • Rdolezel,

Thanks for your advise. From the installer, every WSP Enterprise will install a new WSP DB. Given that I need two WSP Enterprise servers, shall I modify the web.config file in the second WSP Enterprise server by pointing to the WSP DB that the first WSP Enterprise server is created? Thanks.

Simon

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:30 AM
  • Hi Simon,

Actually, you may update the connection string settings in enterprise server to make it point to an existing websitepanel database. Need to note that, if you are using the default account named WebsitePanel to connect to the old sql server, you will need to copy the password from the old es web.config connection string settings.

As far as I know, currently there's no way to point to an old existing database during wsp es installation. You may either temporarily point the database installation location to a non-wsp installed sql server and then use the above method to change the connection string, or install WSP manually. If you decide to install it manually, you may take advantage of the web deploy tool, aka msdeploy. However, this will only sync the site content and the iis related configurations for you. You will need to create some specific users/groups if you use wsp default accounts. For how to use web deploy tool, it is suggested you open a new thread to ask in IIS forums where is more specific.

Hope this helps. Feel free to let me know if you need more information, thanks.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com. Microsoft One Code Framework

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:36 AM