none
Access 2016 without Office 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• In searching the web I seem to be getting contradictory answers to my question, so I'm wondering if someone can give me a definitive answer.

I want to load Access 2016 onto my Windows 10 machine. But I don't have Office 2016. (I just have Word 2007 and Excel 2007, which are sufficient for me.)

Will Access 2016 load properly without Office 2016?

Thanks for any assistance.

• Edited by Shoomie1 Friday, April 21, 2017 4:45 PM
    Friday, April 21, 2017 4:40 PM

Answers

• In general, yes you can install Access 2016.

However, you need to obtain the SAME version as what you have installed now. If you using an office 365 install, then you have to change your plan. And if you using office 365, then you cannot install the standalone version of Access 2016 or even install he free access 2016 runtime version.

In other words there are 4 versions of office and you MUST match the correct version of Access.

We have:

Office 2016 x32 bit (MSI install)
    Office 2016 x64 bit (MSI install)
    Office 2016 x32 bit (CTR install)
    Office 2016 64 bit (CTR install)

So while you can “add” or install Access to your office install, you MUST match the above correct version of Access else it will not install.

So the answer is yes – but with above restriction that you MUST match the Access version you attempt to install with one of the 4 above versions of office that you already have.

If you miss-match ANY of the above 4 versions of office with the wrong version of Access it will not install. Of course this ONLY applies to office 2016.

Since you have office 2007, then no real problem exists installing ANY version of type of Access from 2010 to 2016. You are free to install as you please. So the ONLY mix and match issue above ONLY applies to the SAME given version of office - in this example I was talking about 2016. All types of mix and matching are allowed for DIFFERENT versions of office. So the above restriction(s) ONLY appliy when trying to add or install Access to the SAME existing version of office. When talking about DIFFERNT versions - then no such restrictions exist and you are free to install any different version of Access - include different bit sizes such as the x64 bit version of Access when you using say x32 office 2007.

Regards,
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

• Edited by Albert D. Kallal Friday, April 21, 2017 10:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Shoomie1 Sunday, April 23, 2017 3:55 PM
    Friday, April 21, 2017 7:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry to give you another non-answer, I haven't tried installing Access without Office. But if you were able to install Word and  Excel without Office, then I don't see why you won't be able to install Access without Office as well. In all reality though, you're probably installing Office components too but just not aware of it. 

In any case, what is stopping you from trying? You can then give us the definite answer because I just don't know anyone who has tried it before.

Good luck. 

Friday, April 21, 2017 5:25 PM
  • You can install Access as a stand-alone app, it will install whatever shared office files it needs.  As theDBguy said, just try it.  You could always install the free runtime version if all you need is to run an existing database.

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2016 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Friday, April 21, 2017 7:02 PM
  • The reason why I'm hesitant to try it, is because if it doesn't work, I'm out $100.
    Friday, April 21, 2017 7:53 PM
  • In general, yes you can install Access 2016.

However, you need to obtain the SAME version as what you have installed now. If you using an office 365 install, then you have to change your plan. And if you using office 365, then you cannot install the standalone version of Access 2016 or even install he free access 2016 runtime version.

In other words there are 4 versions of office and you MUST match the correct version of Access.

We have:

Office 2016 x32 bit (MSI install)
    Office 2016 x64 bit (MSI install)
    Office 2016 x32 bit (CTR install)
    Office 2016 64 bit (CTR install)

So while you can “add” or install Access to your office install, you MUST match the above correct version of Access else it will not install.

So the answer is yes – but with above restriction that you MUST match the Access version you attempt to install with one of the 4 above versions of office that you already have.

If you miss-match ANY of the above 4 versions of office with the wrong version of Access it will not install. Of course this ONLY applies to office 2016.

Since you have office 2007, then no real problem exists installing ANY version of type of Access from 2010 to 2016. You are free to install as you please. So the ONLY mix and match issue above ONLY applies to the SAME given version of office - in this example I was talking about 2016. All types of mix and matching are allowed for DIFFERENT versions of office. So the above restriction(s) ONLY appliy when trying to add or install Access to the SAME existing version of office. When talking about DIFFERNT versions - then no such restrictions exist and you are free to install any different version of Access - include different bit sizes such as the x64 bit version of Access when you using say x32 office 2007.

Regards,
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

• Edited by Albert D. Kallal Friday, April 21, 2017 10:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Shoomie1 Sunday, April 23, 2017 3:55 PM
    Friday, April 21, 2017 7:54 PM
  • I was interested in this question too. But now, after Alberts reply, I am more confused than before. I take it that the answer to the original question is NO. You cannot install ACCESS 2016 successfully with Office version 2007. I don't know what MSI install or CTR install is, but by what Albert is saying, don't waste your $100 without buying Office 2016.

Also, I'm confused about the 32-bit vs. 64-bit issue. I've always heard never use 64-bit software. Always buy 32-bit versions even if your machine is 64-bit, as most machines are now. Is that still true? Does the "bitness" still matter? If I have a 64-bit machine with Windows 7, can't I buy 64-bit Office and 64-bit ACCESS and use them successfully?

I have Office 2007 too, and was thinking of upgrading my ACCESS version 2007 to version 2016 as well. Office 2007 only came with a stripped-down version of ACCESS however, so I had to buy the full ACCESS 2007 version separately. Does Office 2016 come with the full version of ACCESS 2016? Or do you have to buy full ACCESS 2016 separately as well?

I'm asking these questions here in this forum because I trust the answers here more than if I asked them to a saleperson in a retail store.

Friday, April 21, 2017 9:58 PM
  • Read my "edit" follow up in my original answer. Since the poster was talking about 2007, then ANY version of access ranging from  2010 to 2016 can be freely installed without restrictions.

The restrictions I speak of ONLY applies to the SAME given version of office. So you can't install Excel x32 2010 and then x64 bit word or Access 2010 (but you could install x64 bit 2013 versions). And you can NOT mix CTR and MSI installs for ANY SAME version of office either. What this means for example is you can't install the 2016 access runtime on a machine with 2016 office CTR (which is "usually" but not always a 365 subscription). However, in the near future a CTR version of the runtime will be made available to get around this restriction (right now we just install 2013 to get around this issue).

So in your case, no restrictions exist unless other "future" versions of office have been installed.

edit: the only issue would be which of the 4 versions of Access you freely choose.

Regards,

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Friday, April 21, 2017 10:23 PM
  • You may find http://www.devhut.net/2017/04/13/access-x32-vs-x64-compatibility/ helpful to this discussion.

Also to clarify a couple terms:

MSI (Windows installer package) is the version we all have known of Access for the past 30+years that came historically on CDs or DVDs.

CTR (click to run) is the new office365 version.

From my understanding this mess, the short answers are that you can't mix and match MSI and CTR for the same version of office applications.  So if you have office 2007 you can install Access 2007 MSI or 2010, 2013, 2016 (MSI or CTR).

As a general rule steer clear from installing any 64 bit office applications.  Always install the 32 bit versions for maximum compatibility.

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2016 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Friday, April 21, 2017 11:25 PM
  • I think Albert's answer does it for me. But it also points out the confusion Microsoft has created. What a mess of versions Microsoft has created for such a simple thing.
    Sunday, April 23, 2017 3:59 PM