none
Multiple installation of VS during SQL Server 2016, SSMS 2016 installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have followed the order of product installation below:

1) SQL Server Developer 2016
    2) Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise
    3) SSMS 2016

I noticed several disturbing things:

- SQL Server setup installed "Microsoft Visual Studio Tools For Applications" 
    => SQL Server setup installed VSTA even though no VS installation exists

- SQL Server 2014 Express LocalDB was installed by VS setup
    - SQL Server 2016 LocalDB was installed by VS setup
    => I'm using SQL Server 2016 Developer edition I dont want any "Express / LocalDB" edition to be installed (especially one of past version like 2014).
    => VS setup don't let us choose to install them or not
    => VS setup did not detect the existing SQL Server installation

- SSMS setup installed "Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Shell (Isolated)"
    => SSMS setup did not detect the existing VS 2015 installation
    => SSMS setup installed a separate Visual Studio 2015 Shell
    => several different installations of Visual Studio 2015 exist locally which is quite ugly and might cause problem with update / service pack

Besides, at the time of the SQL Server 2008 R2, the setup was able to detect any visual studio 2008 installation. In that case, it did not install an isolated VS shell for BIDs but integrate with the existing VS.

Visual Studio 2008 also allowed the user to choose to install SQL Server Express or not. Thus by installating VS 2008 first without SQL Server Express, then SQL Server Developer we end up with a clean installation without any product redundancy.

Any idea to be able to do a cleaner installation and avoid those products redudancy ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 9:07 AM