How will improvements to Metro after Win8 is released be handled?

General discussion

• Android and iOS get updated once a year and that's because they are separate OSes. But a new version of Windows releases every 3-4 yrs typically (with XP -> Vista being the rare exception). So it is almost guaranteed that during that time iOS and Android will have released at least 3 major new versions by the next time a new release of Windows comes out (I'd guess 2015 since 2012 is the estimated releases for Win8). Hell if one looks at WP7, Microsoft is taking a much quicker development cycle there too because it is separate from Windows (WP7 released Fall 2010, WP7.5 released Fall 2011, not too crazy to expect WP8 next Fall).

Service Packs generally are just security updates, hotfixes, etc. packaged up. But they generally don't add major improvements with the exception of a few SP (XP SP2 comes to mind immediately). So how will Microsoft keep up with other companies who will be able to make major improvements to their touch-focused OSes much more quickly?

Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:46 PM

All replies

• In very rare cases, Microsoft releases new features even in the middle of the release cycle. There were few even between Windows 7 RTMed and now.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:53 PM
  • Yea that's what I mean, but it's been very rare. So I'm wondering if Microsoft will be releasing improvements throughout the life of Win8 or if they will simply release the improvements in the next version. I definitely think Service Packs in this case would work perfect for adding improvements. If they wait until the next release of Windows, I think it may affect how many Windows-based tablets are bought when other tablets are adding new features every year.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 12:01 AM
  • It depends on case to case basis, so nobody knows, neither the Microsoft itself.

Monday, September 19, 2011 12:04 AM
  • I would hope they would know. These sort of things are usually planned ahead of time internally. If they didn't then they wouldn't be able to release software on a schedule like they do. That they won't tell us is a whole different story.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 5:31 AM
  • It depends on the nature of the change. If it's quite easy, it might take just half a year to release it, so there is no need to be planned now.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 6:18 AM
  • Would actually be great if Microsoft could release visual and performance optimizations every now and then.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 6:33 AM