none
SQL Server 2008R2 SP3 install closes after extract

Question

• I am trying to apply SP3 for SQL Server 2008R2. I successfully applied it to Analysis Services and the shared features and then rebooted the server.  Now when I try to run the exe again to apply it to the SQL Server instance, it extracts the files, flashes a black box and closes. I am running it as an administrator. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Friday, December 30, 2016 4:07 PM

All replies

• Are you running the setup.exe file that got extracted the first time you ran the downloaded installation file, or are you running the downloaded installation file that you already ran the first time around (ie: SQLServer2008R2SP3-KB2979597-x64-ENU.exe)? You should be running just the setup.exe

You might try checking the Windows Event Viewer (System & Application) for any warnings or errors associated with the attempted installation that could provide some clues as to what the problem is.

If that doesn't help, I would probably delete the SP3 installation files and re-download it from Microsoft, on the theory that maybe the file got corrupted somehow.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44271

In retrospect, I think you should have been able to apply SP3 to All components & SQL instance at once, without doing a separate update for SQL Server instance.

[Please mark this post as answer if it is helpful or answers your question]

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

Friday, December 30, 2016 4:48 PM
  • Hello,

Maybe SP3 was applied to all SQL Server services/features when you first applied the update. Let’s confirm by running the Discovery Report.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/petersad/2009/11/12/sql-server-2008-discovery-report/

If the database engine service shows one of the following build numbers, then SP3 has been applied already:

10.50.6000.34 or

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Saturday, December 31, 2016 2:23 AM