none
Access 2019 Runtime RRS feed

• Question

• When will Access 2019 runtime be available?

At present we have an Access 2013 database that is accessed by some 15 users using 2013 runtime.

We want to migrate to Office 2019 and Access 2019, but without  Access 2019 runtime we are up a creek without a paddle!

Thursday, November 8, 2018 3:55 PM

All replies

• Since there is no MSI version of Office2019/Access 2019 there will not be a Access 2019 Runtime, instead we are directed to use the Office365 runtime

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/download-and-install-office-365-access-runtime-185c5a32-8ba9-491e-ac76-91cbe3ea09c9

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2018 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

• Proposed as answer by Tsz-him Monday, January 28, 2019 4:58 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by EAST Mailbox Manager Monday, January 28, 2019 9:43 AM
    Thursday, November 8, 2018 6:16 PM
  • So I do what the link says. I download and run the .exe.

I get a 'helpful' message telling me I must first remove Office 2019!

Surely there must be a C2R version of Access 2019 runtime!

Thursday, November 8, 2018 11:30 PM
  • Could you post verbatim the message you receive or a screenshot.

I'm also confused, you stated "using 2013 runtime.", but then you stated the message received tells you "remove Office 2019!".  Do you have Office 2019 installed?  I didn't get the impression you did based on your original post.

Friday, November 9, 2018 2:03 PM
  • Do you have Office 2019 Standard?  Or Office 2019 Professional Plus?

If you have the latter, you should already have Access.

If you have the former, you will currently need to use the Access 2013 runtime.  

Do you specifically want to target features not available in the 2013 runtime (e.g. Modern charts)?

Shane L. Groff (Microsoft Engineer)

• Edited by Shane Groff Friday, November 9, 2018 5:18 PM
    Friday, November 9, 2018 4:31 PM
  • Thank you for your replies.

Our situation is that we have 2 database developers, previously using Access 2013 that we have upgraded to Access 2019.

We have at least 16 users that need access to our database. These use Access 2013 runtime.

We have a group of 6 core personnel that we need to upgrade to Office 2019 Standard.

What we initially required was Access 2019 runtime to replace the Access 2013 runtime installations and maintain compatibility.

However there is, at present, no Access 2019 runtime.

Trying to install Access 2016 runtime with Office 2019 was a non starter.

HOWEVER our investigations have shown that Access 2013 runtime will work to our Access 2019 database. ALSO it WILL co-exist with Office 2019 Standard.

Hence we are saved from having to purchase 20+ copies of Office 2019 Professional and install it on users, the majority of which, do not require it!

The upgrade from Office 2013 to Office 2019 removes Office 2013 and also removed Access 2013 runtime.

However Access 2013 runtime was reinstalled and seems to happily co-exist with Office 2019.

I trust this explains what I was trying to achieve, and gives other users a possible solution to the lack of Access 2019 runtime.

It may be that we subsequently find issues, but at present this solution offers a viable way forward.

Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:56 PM
  • I am somewhat curious why the push to switch the developers to Access 2019 when your runtimes are 2013?  The developers are typically the last to be upgraded, not the first, certainly not for production at least.

You might also wish to consider keeping a 2013 VM for the developers.

Thursday, November 29, 2018 9:21 PM

If you have the former, you will currently need to use the Access 2013 runtime.  

Do you specifically want to target features not available in the 2013 runtime (e.g. Modern charts)?

I had the same issue today: forced to move to Access 2019 for developer because our software provider (TechData) no longer provides Office 2016 Pro+. But then had to get two new workstations and found that TD also does not provide Office 2016 Standard any longer. So now I was stuck with Office 2019 Standard and no way to install Access 365/2016/2019 runtimes--your answer here at least got me to where I could install Access 2013 Runtime. But does this spell an eventual death knell of Access runtime? What happens if/when the developer happens to use a feature not supported by runtime 2013? And in my experience, trying to back-load older versions eventually becomes untenable. My concern is that we could eventually find this conflict to be insurmountable when some future version of Access dev is incompatible with Access Runtime 2013. What happens then?

Friday, December 21, 2018 6:49 AM
  • Since there is no MSI version of Office2019/Access 2019 there will not be a Access 2019 Runtime, instead we are directed to use the Office365 runtime

Tsz-him has proposed this as the answer. I invite him to read the rest of the thread!!!!
    Monday, January 28, 2019 9:43 AM
  • From my understand, new features will not work in runtime editions and you'll get errs.  So basically, anyone developing for, even a single, runtime user(s) need to ensure they don't use any new feature.  Shane can hopefully enlighten us more on this aspect.

Monday, January 28, 2019 11:10 AM
  • This isn't quite correct, Daniel.

You can use new features, and they will work fine in the O365 Access runtime.

The problem occurs when you can't use the O365 Access Runtime, because you have Office 2016/2019 Standard installed.  So in that scenario, you would need to use the 2013 Access Runtime, and limit development to features supported by that version.

If you haven't yet, you can add your votes to this item on Access UserVoice:

https://access.uservoice.com/forums/319956-access-desktop-application/suggestions/36055381-release-an-office-2019-access-runtime

Shane

Monday, January 28, 2019 6:46 PM
  • Shane,

I was answering the question "What happens if/when the developer happens to use a feature not supported by runtime 2013?" and your answer concur with my statement, no?

Monday, January 28, 2019 10:46 PM
  • Ah, I just wanted to clarify that:

"new features will not work in runtime editions and you'll get errs. " 

Is not generally true, if you can use the O365 runtime.

If you are using the 2013 runtime, the behavior depends on what new feature you have used.

For example, if your database has Large Integers, then Access 2013 runtime won't be able to open the database and will tell you that the database was created in a later version.

If it has modern charts, then 2013 runtime will be able to open it, but you won't see the modern charts (2013 will just ignore them).

Monday, January 28, 2019 10:50 PM
  • "If it has modern charts, then 2013 runtime will be able to open it, but you won't see the modern charts (2013 will just ignore them)."

That's great, at least the database would still work in a general sense.

But I think this all comes back to the Golden rule of development: always perform the development using the oldest version that will be used to run the database.  So if you can only install Access runtime 2013, while other users m may be running 2016, 2019 or 365, then you should do your development in 2013 to have the least issues.

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 12:00 AM
  • The problem, of late, has been that when we replace a computer, we may well be unable to get a license for an earlier version of Office Pro, and thus Access for development. All my clients buy their Office on a computer-by-computer basis, and until forced to go to VLS by the Live-account-required-to-register-office (which is absolutely horrible and nothing but trouble in a corporate environment) a couple of years back, we would just buy a retail license every time we got a new computer. So we have a mixture of 2010 through 2019. And that is not really an operational problem.

So when I recently replaced a developer's computer, I found that TechData, my VLS supplier, no longer sells even Office 2016 Pro+, and I was thus forced to purchase 2019 Pro+.

That is, in at least my small-business real world of licensing and availability where there is only a single developer, not a large team that justifies volume purchases, it pretty much precludes any possibility that I can ensure that the developer has the oldest version. I wish it were so easy to just keep the developer at the oldest version in operation.

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 5:38 AM
  • I have the same issue here as Daniel.  We are a smaller accounting firm and purchase new computers and thus new licenses for Office as needed.  We can't afford to go with volume licenses and we try to keep computers going for as long as they work.  Most of our software runs off a server and I've been tasked with writing reporting programs using MS-Access to generate the report and stored procedures on the SQL server to gather together the data.  This process has worked for years and all of the code I wrote in MS-Access was written on MS-Access 2013.  I don't do anything fancy just query the SQL-server and return data for the report.  I've been installing Runtime 2013 on computers for a while without issues.  But all of a sudden, MS-Office starts uninstalling the Runtime copy of 2013 and the application stops working.  We can't afford to update all of our computers to O365 when we have already invested hundreds for a copy on each of the computers.  It is going to be expensive just to replace the computers that are running Win7 and our older server licenses, even though they run perfectly fine for the software we use.

Monday, May 13, 2019 1:24 PM
  • ... But I think this all comes back to the Golden rule of development: always perform the development using the oldest version that will be used to run the database.  So if you can only install Access runtime 2013, while other users m may be running 2016, 2019 or 365, then you should do your development in 2013 to have the least issues.

Hi Daniel,  I am still developing in Access 2007 because some of my users are still running Access 2007 or the Access 2007 Runtime.  For users with later versions of Office with Access, 2010 2013, 2016, 2019, O365 (C2R or Store) my app seems to run fine on all of those versions of Access.  For users with later versions of Office but no Access, I've always installed the Access 2007 Runtime along with my app; and this has always worked satisfactorily too. 

But with comments above like Shane's...

"The problem occurs when you can't use the O365 Access Runtime, because you have Office 2016/2019 Standard installed.  So in that scenario, you would need to use the 2013 Access Runtime, and limit development to features supported by that version."  Shane L. Groff (Microsoft Engineer)

And like KFN_Landa's...

"I've been installing Runtime 2013 on computers for a while without issues.  But all of a sudden, MS-Office starts uninstalling the Runtime copy of 2013 and the application stops working."  KFN_Landa 

...  I'm wondering if I can continue installing the Access 2007 Runtime on a computer with later versions of Office such as Microsoft Office 2019 Home & Business (C2R) but with no Access, without any problems or without future Office Updates removing the Access 2007 Runtime?

Any replies will be appreciated!  Daniel? Shane?  KFN_Landa?

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:02 AM

If you have the former, you will currently need to use the Access 2013 runtime... And

...The problem occurs when you can't use the O365 Access Runtime, because you have Office 2016/2019 Standard installed.  So in that scenario, you would need to use the 2013 Access Runtime, and limit development to features supported by that version.

Shane - I'm hoping you can help to clear up my confusion re: C2R, MSI, MS Store, Retail, etc. as they apply to Office 2016, 2019, and O365.

In your post quoted above, you ask...

"Do you have Office 2019 Standard?  Or Office 2019 Professional Plus?"

Are not both of these Office 2019 versions, as well as all other versions of Office 2019, all C2R? And if they are all in fact C2R, why can't the O365 Access Runtime (presumably C2R) be installed on these systems when there is no Access?

As posted above in this thread, I still develop in Access 2007 as some of my users still use Access 2007 or the Access 2007 Runtime.  I am now preparing a deployment package for a client who has Office 2019 "Home and Business" (Click to Run) installed; but no Access.

In the past, without regard for what version of Office may or may not be installed, whenever Access 2007 or later is not detected, I've always opted to install the Access 2007 Runtime (presumably MSI) that I include in my setup package.  This has historically always worked well.

Is this still a viable strategy with all the iterations of recent versions of Office?  That is, can I continue to install the Access 2007 Runtime on systems with Office 2016, 2016/2019, 2019, and O365 (C2R or MS Store) and not expect problems???

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:39 PM
  • All Office 2019 versions are C2R, yes.  However, there are different C2R channels.

In particular, there is a difference between retail (consumer), and volume license (enterprise) channels.

In this case, the O365 Access Runtime will work with O365 subscriptions, and with 2016 and 2019 retail perpetual licenses, but NOT with the 2019 volume license channel, although we are working on making a release that will work with 2019 volume license (Access 2019 Runtime).

You could install the Access 2007 Runtime, although I would not recommend that, since it is out of support and thus will not get any further security updates.  To cover the versions you mention, you could install the Access 2013 Runtime, which is still in support, as long as you don't use any features not supported in Access 2013 (such as Big Integers).  The 2010 runtime is still in support as well, but only until next year.

Shane

Thursday, June 27, 2019 12:33 AM