none
Visual Studio 2015 refuses to start

Question

• Hi,

Ten minutes ago, Visual Studio 2015 was working fine.  I don't know what provoked this, but it then showed me a modal dialog that said "'-2' is not a valid value for property 'Height'".  I exited VS to make it go away, and now VS refuses to even start -- I get the same modal dialog at startup and dismissing it exits the process.  I've tried running devenv.exe /safemode to no avail -- same thing.  I've tried running devenv.exe /resetsettings to no avail -- same thing.  I tried the devenv.exe /log switch and the log file an nothing interesting.  This seems like some bogus cached setting having to do with window/toolbar layout since it happens as _soon_ as VS starts (i.e. the modal error message appears as soon as the splash screen appears without the main window ever loading).  Please help.

Friday, July 29, 2016 6:09 AM

Answers

• That's really a terrible bug.  After digging around with ProcMon and looking at what was going on, and then playing around a bit in RegEdit, I found the culprit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\MainWindow = -1 0 40 640 -2 3

That looked suspicious enough that I renamed the key to "MainWindow2" and sure enough things worked.  I have no explanation for how that happened since I wasn't resizing the window or anything when the dialog first appeared.  You guys should really fix that!

Friday, July 29, 2016 6:26 AM

All replies

• That's really a terrible bug.  After digging around with ProcMon and looking at what was going on, and then playing around a bit in RegEdit, I found the culprit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\MainWindow = -1 0 40 640 -2 3

That looked suspicious enough that I renamed the key to "MainWindow2" and sure enough things worked.  I have no explanation for how that happened since I wasn't resizing the window or anything when the dialog first appeared.  You guys should really fix that!

Friday, July 29, 2016 6:26 AM

Yes those guys should fix alot of issues Visual Studio 2015 seems to cause to happen to itself on alot of peoples systems.

On the other hand in the Visual Studio IDE there is a way to report a problem also so that MS is aware of the issue and provide the workaround when/if you report a problem if there is one. As MS doesn't necessarily review these threads.

La vida loca

Friday, July 29, 2016 6:30 AM