Which Microsoft.* and System.* dlls need to be deployed aka what's NOT in the GAC? RRS feed

• Question

• User-609570320 posted

Hi

I want to deploy my application on a client’s IIS. Of course I have to deploy my own assemblies as well as 3rd party assemblies. However what Microsoft.* and System.* assemblies do I have to deploy? I know that the .net Framework is installed but for example MVC and ASP.NET WebAPI are not. How do I figure out what can be seen as a prerequisite? What’s best practice?

I see all the packages I installed through NuGet but I manually also added references which are not part of .net.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:51 AM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi,

how can I make sure my GAC is a "normal GAC" and doesn't contain any non-.net Framework dlls?

Your application and 3rd party assemblies will debug into dlls in bin file when you give reference to third party assembly, and you don’t need consider the dlls type in bin file,  

Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 8, 2013 4:47 AM

All replies

• User-837620913 posted

Look in the bin folder of your application. DLLs that are not in the GAC will be copied there.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 6:40 AM
  • User-609570320 posted

Hi Darrell

Thank you very much! That makes sense, of course. One additional question though: how can I make sure my GAC is a "normal GAC" and doesn't contain any non-.net Framework dlls?

Regards,

Thursday, July 4, 2013 7:06 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi,

how can I make sure my GAC is a "normal GAC" and doesn't contain any non-.net Framework dlls?

Your application and 3rd party assemblies will debug into dlls in bin file when you give reference to third party assembly, and you don’t need consider the dlls type in bin file,  

Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 8, 2013 4:47 AM