Building Windows 8.1 Apps on Server 2012 (not R2)

Question

• Hi.  We use Windows Server 2012 server  to build our applications.  We are able to build Windows 8.0 apps.  Visual Studio 2012 and 2013 are installed, along with the Tools for maintaining Windows Store apps for Windows 8.  When we try to build Windows 8 applications that target Windows 8.1 we get build errors.  Initially we were building using the .NET version of MSBuild.exe, however we switched to test the one that was included with VS2013. Is it possible to build 8.1 apps on Server 2012 without upgrading the OS to 2012 R2?

Here is the error.  

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v12.0\AppxPackage\Microsoft.AppXPackage.Targets(1477,9): error MSB6006: "MakeAppx.exe" exited with code 1.

www.techtronic.us - My App www.spaceweatherapp.com

Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To build a Windows Store app for Windows 8.1, you need:

Windows 8.1/Windows Server 2012 R2 OS + Visual Studio 2013 tools (any edition except Express for Web or Express for Desktop).

To build a Windows Store app for Windows 8.0, you need:

Windows 8.1/Windows Server 2012 R2 OS + Visual Studio 2013 tools with the "Tools for maintaining Windows Store apps for Windows 8.0" optional package installed

-or-

Windows 8.0/Windows Server 2012 OS + Visual Studio 2012 tools.

You should upgrade your build server to 2012 R2.

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, March 7, 2014 5:48 AM

All replies

• After trying to run makeapp.exe manually I see the following:

This application is not supported on the current operating system version.

Is there  some way around this?  Upgrading our build server to 2012 R2 is not an options and creating a Windows 8.1 PC and offloading the build task isn't either.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:35 PM
  • Hi,

To build a Windows Store app for Windows 8.1, you need:

Windows 8.1/Windows Server 2012 R2 OS + Visual Studio 2013 tools (any edition except Express for Web or Express for Desktop).

To build a Windows Store app for Windows 8.0, you need:

Windows 8.1/Windows Server 2012 R2 OS + Visual Studio 2013 tools with the "Tools for maintaining Windows Store apps for Windows 8.0" optional package installed

-or-

Windows 8.0/Windows Server 2012 OS + Visual Studio 2012 tools.

You should upgrade your build server to 2012 R2.

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, March 7, 2014 5:48 AM
  • I **should** or I**must** upgrade to 2012 R2??  We just built  this server specifically to build Windows 8 apps, and now we have to upgrade it to a whole new OS?  There's got to be a better way.  Having a dependency on a specific version of Windows just to build a Windows app (not install) seems un-Windows-like.

Friday, March 7, 2014 8:59 PM
  • Hi,

If you want to build the windows 8.1 app, you must upgrade to 2012 R2. Just like my first reply says.

Best Wishes!

Monday, March 10, 2014 8:50 AM
  • Thanks.  Actually you said you "should".  I was trying to determine if it is a requirement or recommendation.  Thanks.  We'll upgrade when and if we can.

Monday, March 17, 2014 1:34 PM