VPN RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

when we migrate completely the enterprise infrastructure to Azure, and the client wants a vpn access, it has to be a point-to-site connection because all the site is hosted in Azure? in this case do I need a VPN Gateway? or is there a secure connection already integrated. the client has cloud services, sql database and storage.

Thank you.

Sna

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:16 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for posting here!

Yes, a Gateway is required to establish a VPN connection to your Azure based cloud infrastructure. You have to create your gateway first to get the IP address. This IP address is used while configuring your P2S connection. You can refer to VPN Gateway FAQ for more details on the pre-requisites to establish a P2S connection. Also, if the number of clients there are to connect is less then you can go for P2S which would not require a VPN device to connect nor a Public facing IP address. Please see Configure a Point-to-Site VPN connection to a VNet using the classic portal for more details.

If the requirement is to connect a large number of clients to your Azure infrastructure then you can also check out Site-to-Site VPN connection to check the feasibility of the setup for your organization. Please go through Create a virtual network with a Site-to-Site VPN connection using the Azure classic portal for additional information.

Hope this helps you. Do let me know if you have any additional questions about this.

Regards,

Loydon

• Marked as answer by sna_3444 Wednesday, June 15, 2016 6:26 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 3:49 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting here!

Yes, a Gateway is required to establish a VPN connection to your Azure based cloud infrastructure. You have to create your gateway first to get the IP address. This IP address is used while configuring your P2S connection. You can refer to VPN Gateway FAQ for more details on the pre-requisites to establish a P2S connection. Also, if the number of clients there are to connect is less then you can go for P2S which would not require a VPN device to connect nor a Public facing IP address. Please see Configure a Point-to-Site VPN connection to a VNet using the classic portal for more details.

If the requirement is to connect a large number of clients to your Azure infrastructure then you can also check out Site-to-Site VPN connection to check the feasibility of the setup for your organization. Please go through Create a virtual network with a Site-to-Site VPN connection using the Azure classic portal for additional information.

Hope this helps you. Do let me know if you have any additional questions about this.

Regards,

Loydon

• Marked as answer by sna_3444 Wednesday, June 15, 2016 6:26 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 3:49 AM
  • Thanks for your help.

I have another question, in pricing VPN gateway, P2S VPN will be charged at standard Data Transfer rates. how can I know the amount of data transferred?  and am I going to be charged also for the number of gateway hours for P2S or only for S2S?

Thank you!

Sna

• Edited by sna_3444 Wednesday, June 15, 2016 11:43 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 11:23 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your response!

Microsoft does charge you for the VPN gateway that connects to on-premises and other VNETs in Azure. This charge is based on the amount of time that gateway is provisioned and available. This is same in case of P2s and S2s VPN connections.

you can look at the amount of data that is transferred IN and OUT of the gateway which should give you a good measure of it. you can find this just under the Gateway symbol when you have the connection active. It will show Data In and Data Out.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Loydon

Thursday, June 16, 2016 11:16 AM