none
Strange SQL Azure Database down issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have a Windows Azure question. Yesterday my SQL Azure database went down. I got a exception saying

Exception: System.Data.DataException: An exception occurred while initializing the database. See the InnerException for details. ---> System.Data.EntityException: The underlying provider failed on Open. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'PHX\CH1SAP20A1CF547$'. at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, UInt32 waitForMultipleObjectsTimeout, Boolean allowCreate, Boolean onlyOneCheckConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) at 

When i logged in using SQL Server Enterprise manager the database was there, but my table was gone.
    Afther 20 minutes the table was back ?

What could be the cause of this. Is there a place i can see this kind of erros in the dashboard?

I tought that SQL Azure always had 3 concurrent backups so that my application would stay up ?

regards
    Dieter
    Saturday, April 27, 2013 10:43 AM

All replies

• have u tried re-login when the exception occurred
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 1:52 AM
  • System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'PHX\CH1SAP20A1CF547$'.

Hello Dieter,

That's looks more like a Windows account was used for logon (exactly a Windows machine account), and not a valid SQL Azure login.

If the SQL Azure database would be down, then you get a different error message "server not reachable". So check your connection string, if the correct SQL login is used.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:01 AM
  • i used the connectionstring from the portal, not a Windows account, i think you can't use a windows account in azure
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:56 AM
  • i think you can't use a windows account in azure

Indeed, you can't, but the reported account looks like a Windows machine account.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:10 PM
  • hmm that's strange, because that's the exception i got back, maybe this i a internal thing ?

is there more info on how Azure works when  a server goes down ?

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:12 PM
  • If the server would be down, then you get (after timeout of 30 sec) a different error message then "login failed", like "server not reachable".

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Thursday, May 2, 2013 8:32 AM
  • Below error could be key here,

"An exception occurred while initializing the database"

something was going on in background, could be reconfiguration of your database and you tried connecting a that point.

If issue occurs again i would suggest contacting SQL Azure support.

Were you doing any operation which involves this database at the time of issue (like federation split, copy database for that reason anyhing other than normal select,insert,update commands)?

Thanks,

Dilkush

Friday, May 3, 2013 7:38 AM
  • i was just reading data, and maybe a insert.

also strange is the fact that my autonumber counter was increment bij 1000

Friday, May 3, 2013 7:46 AM
  • May be you can look at SQL Azure DMVs to find out what were the queries ran during this time.

Also look at query ran against master database to see whether any alter statement ran against your dataabse or not.

Thanks,

Dilkush

Friday, May 3, 2013 9:37 PM
  • what is SQL Azure DMV?
    Sunday, May 5, 2013 11:17 AM
  • what is SQL Azure DMV?

DMV = Dynamic Management View; see System Views (Windows Azure SQL Database)

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Sunday, May 5, 2013 6:25 PM
  • Hey Dieter,

Azure SQL Database uses machine accounts under the covers for some of its operations. During certain states associated with a failover from Machine A to Machine B, we can get the above login failure for those machine accounts. They aren't supposed to flow back to end customer, but instead you are supposed to get a database unavailability error.

It sounds like your database failed over and the failover wasn't as seamless as we would like. The failover probably took more time than expected hence the time window where you couldn't see your table. Then, once the failover was complete, you could again see your table.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:48 PM