[WPSL]Will Windows 10 for phone supports Silverlight app? RRS feed

• Question

• As the title.

It is really close for Microsoft to publish the Windows 10.

And now I am trying to develop an app with Windows store SDK.

But I feel that the Windows 8.0 (Silverlight) SDK is more steady (also with more useful nuget).

So I want to ask that will Windows 10 for phone support silverlight app?

It will help me to determine to develop with which SDK now.

Thanks very much!

Victor

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 12:16 PM

Answers

• Yes. Existing Windows Phone apps will run on Windows 10 Mobile.

For new apps I'd recommend writing Universal apps unless you have a strong need to support Windows Phone 8. This will give you full access to Windows 10 features (if you write a Windows 10 app) or position the app to upgrade to Windows 10 (if you write a Windows Phone 8.1 Runtime app to target current devices).

--Rob

• Marked as answer by 黃宇祥 Saturday, May 2, 2015 12:55 AM
    Friday, May 1, 2015 1:56 AM
  • Most likely yes, Silverlight will get an update for windows 10.
    • Marked as answer by 黃宇祥 Saturday, May 2, 2015 1:02 AM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015 1:22 PM

All replies

• Most likely yes, Silverlight will get an update for windows 10.
    • Marked as answer by 黃宇祥 Saturday, May 2, 2015 1:02 AM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015 1:22 PM
  • Yes. Existing Windows Phone apps will run on Windows 10 Mobile.

For new apps I'd recommend writing Universal apps unless you have a strong need to support Windows Phone 8. This will give you full access to Windows 10 features (if you write a Windows 10 app) or position the app to upgrade to Windows 10 (if you write a Windows Phone 8.1 Runtime app to target current devices).

--Rob

• Marked as answer by 黃宇祥 Saturday, May 2, 2015 12:55 AM
    Friday, May 1, 2015 1:56 AM
  • Will the Windows Phone 7 apps also run on Windows 10 Mobile?

Friday, May 1, 2015 5:53 AM
  • Existing Windows Phone apps will run on Windows 10 Mobile.
    Windows Phone 7 apps are existing Windows Phone apps.
    Conclusion: Windows Phone 7 apps will run on Windows 10 Mobile
    True or False?

Friday, May 1, 2015 6:54 AM
  • Thanks the info! :)

I have another question: Will existing Windows Phone apps run on Windows 10 (pc, laptop)?

Friday, May 1, 2015 7:14 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply and advice! So happy to hear that!

I ask this because I want to publish a second version of my Silverlight app before August.

I think I will use Silverlight SDK for my second version, and switch to Windows store SDK after August.

So excited to build Windows 10 App!

Thank a lot!

Victor

Saturday, May 2, 2015 1:06 AM
  • No. Windows Phone apps will run on Windows Phone. You'll need a Universal Windows app to run on both desktops and mobile.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 1:30 AM
  • @Rob: Thanks the info!

Will Android and iOS apps run on Windows 10 (for PC, Laptop, XBox, HoloLens version) or only on Windows 10 Mobile?

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 11:37 AM
  • They will run everywhere but they have to be ported. You can't take their package as is and run it. You have to compile for windows first.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 12:15 PM
  • So Android and iOS apps will run on every Windows 10 machine (PC, Mobile, XBox, Hololens).
    But existing Windows Phone apps will NOT run on every Windows 10 machine, only on Windows 10 Mobile.

nice! :(

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 1:20 PM
  • What?

You are in deep confusions I am afraid.

Here's how it works.

UNIVERSAL windows runtime apps will run on every windows machine, without (or with little) modifications.

ALL OTHER types of apps (including, but not limited to pure .net apps, win32, android, iOS, silverlight etc) will have to be ported to each individual platform. The porting is greatly simplified, but you have to port it nonetheless.

You can already pretty much copy paste your silverlight for windows phone app in windows desktop, as long as you don't use platform specific things. Portability is not something that can be achieved so easily. You obviously can not take the windows phone 8 package, with is ARM compiled and run it on the x86 xbox/PC/tablet/helicopter/space shuttle. If you stick to WP8 SDK, aside from missing a lot of cool stuff, you will be limited to running on phones only.

• Edited by mcosmin Tuesday, May 5, 2015 1:39 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 1:36 PM
  • I have a couple of Windows Phone 8.0 Silverlight apps in the Store and I'm facing several bugs, that only happen on Windows 10 Mobile. Such as problems with the MediaLibrary or PhotoChooserTask, whichI have mentioned here.

I hope these problems are going to be fixed in the next builds or at least int the final release of WM10. And are these problems known yet?

Thx! :)

Sunday, September 6, 2015 5:17 PM