none
Manually rotating the Kinect1 sensor horizontally RRS feed

• Question

• I understand there is no horizontal rotation in the SDK, so I have to frame the view of the camera manually, but since my new Kinect1 is already turned a bit to the right (out of the box) I wondered if I could simply rotate it to the left. I tried gently, to no avail, but I thought I should ask first before applying force! Is it OK to do this, so the camera itself doesn't look crooked? (if that's the right word to describe the state of the sensor!)
    Monday, October 19, 2015 9:41 AM

Answers

• In my experience its fine to rotate them. They may stick a bit at first, but they do rotate. Dont go twisting 360 as the wires inside will snap.
    • Marked as answer by JoshHM Monday, October 19, 2015 10:55 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2015 10:28 AM

All replies

• In my experience its fine to rotate them. They may stick a bit at first, but they do rotate. Dont go twisting 360 as the wires inside will snap.
    • Marked as answer by JoshHM Monday, October 19, 2015 10:55 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2015 10:28 AM
  • Thank you Phil,

I just did (a tiny bit, like 5 degrees) to set it straight as it should be, but then even a simple elevate angel would not work!

So, I panicked, unplugged the USB and power, plugged them back in, and reset everything.

It now works again, but I thought I had broken it!

Monday, October 19, 2015 10:53 AM
  • Kinect's can take quite a mauling I've found

The motor can be a little buggy, but often resets like you did set everything in order.
    • Edited by Phil Noonan Tuesday, October 20, 2015 6:33 AM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 6:32 AM
  • Thanks for your follow-up.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 2:40 PM