Using new fonts in Blend RRS feed

• Question

• I installed a new font in Windows and am trying to use it in blend but it doesn't show up in the list of fonts for my textblock object (it also isn't working with textbox objects). I'm not sure what type the font is but the file extension is PFM and the icon in windows is that of a lower case "a". Can anyone tell me how to get this font working in Blend?

Thanks
    Saturday, April 19, 2008 9:36 PM

Answers

• Thank you, omatase.

The only supported font file types for Blend are .otf, .ttc and .ttf.  I can't rule out that other font file types may work, but the three I mentioned are the ones that Blend is supposed to support.

Jonathan - MSFT

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by omatase Friday, June 20, 2008 6:54 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 8:54 PM

All replies

• Howdy,

I am not a Font expert, so not sure about the type scenario.

You could try, right click on your project in Project panel and select add existing item, navigating to your font file.

Then open the Font Manger from the Tools menu and see if it is visible. This should allow you to specify which parts of the font you want to use.

A word of caution, you must have the correct license to distribute a font.. so using it in your application is something you must think about a lot.

Let me know how you get on with the Font Manager.

Cheers
    Learn Expression Blend at learnexpressionstudio.com
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 4:37 PM
  • From the tools menu I can only see something that lets me work with embedded fonts. The font doesn't show up in there even if I add it to my project either.
    Should I have to embed this font since it's already installed on the machine? To me it seems like a problem with the font type although, like you I'm no font expert.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:20 AM
  • Howdy,

Sorry, I should clarify.. Font Manager is part of Blend 2 - 2.5. XAML still supports it though.

Cheers
    Learn Expression Blend at learnexpressionstudio.com
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:55 AM
  • I have been using 2 all along. I installed 2.5 yesterday and I see a big difference in the font manager. It is now more comprehensible. There is a list of fonts I can choose to embed. However, the font I am looking to use is not on the list.

Are there any font experts out there that know what's going on? I expect I'll have to convert the font to some supported type but I don't know.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 2:02 PM
  • omatase,

Are you able to use this font with other Windows applications, like Microsoft Word?  Is there an accompanying .pfb file with your .pfm file?

Best regards,

Jonathan - MSFT

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:40 PM
  • Yes I can, for instance, I just opened wordpad and was able to use this font.

Yes there is an accompanying PFB file with the PFM file.

Thanks for your time
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:19 PM
  • Thank you, omatase.

The only supported font file types for Blend are .otf, .ttc and .ttf.  I can't rule out that other font file types may work, but the three I mentioned are the ones that Blend is supposed to support.

Jonathan - MSFT

• Marked as answer by omatase Friday, June 20, 2008 6:54 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 8:54 PM