none
.NET 4 service will not start. RRS feed

• Question

• I already had .NET 1.1, 2, 3 and 3.5 installed and running on XP Pro SP3 for a long time. I installed V.4 with no problems but I noticed the service did not start. Any attempt to start gives the familiar message "The service started and stopped" etc.

In practice this means in VS2008 I cannot target the .NET V4 framework as it does not appear in the dropdown combo for selection.

I have re-installed and tried starting the service under different credentials with no success. I have searched the .NET but not found a similar problem anywhere.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Saturday, May 8, 2010 1:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

in my opinion you can't use .NET 4 in VS2008. It's supported at VS2010.

You can delete all versions of NET Framework and try it to install it again. To delete the different versions you can use the .Net Framework Uninstaller. Here you can read how to use it.

Regards

martinwy

• Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, May 14, 2010 3:16 AM
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 11:45 AM
  • Hi MikeInAussie,

Thank you for your post.

Some clarification with you:
    What kind of service do you mean that cannot be started?

The .NET Framework is an integral Windows component that supports building and running the next generation of applications and XML Web services. It is not a service for Windows.

Visual Studio 2008 targets .NET 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5. It does not have access to various new features and tools that support .NET Framework 4.0.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

in my opinion you can't use .NET 4 in VS2008. It's supported at VS2010.

You can delete all versions of NET Framework and try it to install it again. To delete the different versions you can use the .Net Framework Uninstaller. Here you can read how to use it.

Regards

martinwy

Sunday, May 9, 2010 11:45 AM
  • Hi MikeInAussie,

Thank you for your post.

Some clarification with you:
    What kind of service do you mean that cannot be started?

The .NET Framework is an integral Windows component that supports building and running the next generation of applications and XML Web services. It is not a service for Windows.

Visual Studio 2008 targets .NET 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5. It does not have access to various new features and tools that support .NET Framework 4.0.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:54 AM
  • Yichun and Martinwy

Thanks for your help. The service I am referring to is "Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X86".

Since it doesn't work with VS2008 it is no loss for me but I am still puzzled why it does not start. I installed it on an old laptop and it starts just fine.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 3:23 AM
  • Hi MikeInAussie,

Thank you for your reply.

I would suggest you to try the Verification Tool to check the installation of .NET Framework 4.0 on your machine.
    If it cannot be verified successfully on your machine, please try to remove and reinstall it again.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, May 17, 2010 3:21 AM