none
Trouble Opening Project And Selecting Template From Ezimerchant

Question

• Hello, I am trying to edit a template within the website ezimerchant.com For this it says I need to
    1. Open Visual Studio
    2. Choose from the menu: File -> Open -> Web Site...
    3. Choose remote site
    4. In Web Site Location enter https://secure.ezimerchant.com/
    5. Click Open
    6. Enter your ezimerchant email address and password when prompted for credentials

Unfortunately I cannot find the remote site option and therefore cannot start with my project. Can someone please help me find this.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

In visual studio 2010/2012/2013, we could find Remote Site via File -> Open -> Web Site, but in visual studio 2015, there is no Remote Site Tab.

Please have a look at the thread which has the similar doubt with you: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36332719/open-remote-website-dialog-box-in-visual-studio-2015

The "Remote Website" deployment option requires FrontPage Server Extensions, as the dialog states. FPSE enabled WebDAV-like publishing and the Web Folders feature in Windows.

FPSE was last released in 2002 and is now completely obsolete. Very few webhosts support FPSE thesedays so it would be of little use even if VS still supported it.

FTP deployment is far more supported and conceptually far more simpler - so that's why.

WebDAV is a nice design in abstract, but when implemented server-side it's far too complicated to setup and maintain, and doesn't work with modern web-applications because of conflicts with resource-paths. FTP "just works".

If you think my reply is helpful, could you please mark it as an answer which will be helpful for those who has the same doubt with you, thank you for understanding.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 17, 2017 7:18 AM