Check if TFS is express version RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, dear colleagues!

Have maybe naive, but a tricky question for me. Is there some way to understand what edition of TFS do you have?

Sometimes ago I an installed TFS 2017 express and the single evidence about edition was in the Programm and Features panel.

Now we decided to upgrade the TFS to full version, but the management console does not have the place to type in a serial key or something. I downloaded and installed TFS 2017 update 3 over previous one. Title in the Programm and Features panel changed, but how to check in some easy way if its really full version? Across the pair of weeks we gonna have new team members, so I in a little confusion.

best regards,

Mikhail

Saturday, November 18, 2017 2:00 PM

All replies

• what does TFS Web Access -> About return ?

Please use "Mark as Answer" if my post solved your problem and use "Vote As Helpful" if a post was useful.

Saturday, November 18, 2017 2:07 PM
  • what does TFS Web Access -> About return ?

Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server

Version 15.117.27024.0

Saturday, November 18, 2017 2:41 PM
  • Hi Mikhail,

Version 15.117.27024.0 is TFS 2017 Update 3 RTM. Please refer to the website below to get more information of TFS versions:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/tfssetup/2013/11/21/what-version-of-team-foundation-server-do-i-have/

Best regards,

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Sunday, November 19, 2017 1:31 AM
  • Hi Mikhail,

Please refer to the website below to get more information of TFS versions:

Hello, Cece!

I have been checked this link recently, and for my conclusion TFS express and full version have the same numbers. Before I did update, in the (Web access -> About) also wasn't some evidence about the express version.
    Sunday, November 19, 2017 9:26 AM
  • Hi Mikhail,

The Express edition is essentially the same TFS as you get when you install the TFS Basic wizard except that the install is trimmed down and streamlined to make it incredibly fast and easy. So you are correct that the version number is the same as the full version. The version from the "Programs and Features" is supposed to identify the version.

Also, check SQL Server version is a option, as Express version oinly supports SQL Server Express Edition.

Best regards,

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, November 20, 2017 9:15 AM
  • Hi Mikhail,

Also, check SQL Server version is a option, as Express version oinly supports SQL Server Express Edition.

Hello!

I went this way at the start of the week. Made backup/restore for TFS databases and then executed command TFSConfig RemapDBs that has SQL Server Standard Edition path. Then I corrected the DB parameter for one of my collection. The program did not show any mistakes, so maybe it's full edition in the end.

Thanks for the help, Cece!

P. S. Wouldn't it be cool if the was another way to check it)

Thursday, November 23, 2017 1:29 PM
  • Hi Mikhail,

I'd like to suggest you submit a User Voice at website below:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/330519-team-services/category/145257-dashboards-and-reporting

Best regards,

Monday, November 27, 2017 8:38 AM