Using Entity Framework diagram or class diagram's classes in my own diagram RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've designed my own model to define the states of an activity to be used in Web Application development.
    In the model, I have:

• Actor SwimLane: defines each actor's role in the activity
    • Manual State Element: defines the manual working state for each Actor (ie: getting the request signed form from customer)
    • Application State: defines the functional state in my application which is presented as web from (ie: fill the register form in RegisterCustomer.aspx)
    • Element connectors
    • Class SwimLane: this is the area which I can define my classes and connect each PageState to these classes to show the relation
    • Class Element: defines the domain objects in my application
    • Other Activity Diagram Elements (ie: Join, Fork,...)

When I create and define a Activity, I should define all the classes in my diagram. I do this by copy/paste between Activity Diagrams.
    Also, I'm using Entity Framework.

Here is my question:
    Is there any solution to use Entity Framework generaed model's classes or VS class diagram in my own diagram?

Thanks

Amir Pournasserian
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:28 AM

Answers

• You need VS Ultimate to get UML diagrams; the Feature Pack is an add-in for that. The FP Runtime by itself doesn't provide the ability to create UML diagrams from code.

I think it might be easiest to read the program code into your model using System.CodeDom.

- Alan -MSFT
    Monday, September 20, 2010 4:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Amir,

Here are some suggestions:

Does this help?

- Alan -MSFT
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 12:02 AM
  • Thanks,

I'm not a member and I have downloaded "Visualization and Modeling Feature Pack Runtime". Is there anyway to do this myself?

Amir Pournasserian
    Monday, September 20, 2010 3:54 PM
  • You need VS Ultimate to get UML diagrams; the Feature Pack is an add-in for that. The FP Runtime by itself doesn't provide the ability to create UML diagrams from code.

I think it might be easiest to read the program code into your model using System.CodeDom.

- Alan -MSFT
    Monday, September 20, 2010 4:22 PM