none
Windows setting reset to default after performing sysprep. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,  Im using windows embedded Standard 7.  I modified some windows setting (screen resolution, auto hide tool bar, add a few shortcuts on desktop among other settings.  After performing a sysprep those setting disappear.  Any ideas?

I'm using

C:\windows\system32\sysprep>sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:unattend.xml

Regards,

Jose

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 10:24 PM

All replies

• You can add a batch file to the runonce registry that will make those changes for you on first boot. I'm sure there is a better way to do this but this is the way I know how to do it.

"Learning without thought is labor lost; Thought without learning is perilous." Confucius
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 12:20 AM
  • I never used Audit Mode, but if i remeber right:  Sean wrote in a post that changes you do in Audit Mode will not be resettet if you perform sysprep with /generelize /oobe out from this state.

So if the system boots up, don't type anything in the oobe state. Just hit the weird combination: CTRL+SHIFT+F3
    Then you will leave OOBE and boot into audit mode. Make you changes again, and run sysprep /generelize /oobe again from this state.

"Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 1:04 AM
  • or add the batch file / reg.exe calls to the unattend.xml file using sync command.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:14 AM
  • Hi KNARZ,

Thanks for the reply.  Im going to do more research on Audit Mode.  I'll let you know the outcome.

Jose

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Hi Knarz,

I tried what you suggested.  After sysprep I selected CTR+SHIFT+F3 then I when into Audit mode.  I made the changes and I did another sysprep but some of the changes still did not stayed.  What is the exact syntax I need to use the second sysprep time?

1st time:

C:\windows\system32\sysprep>sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:unattend.xml

2nd tiem:  Do I need to use the same syntax as the 1st one?

Jose

Thursday, October 6, 2011 3:56 PM
  • The problem here might be what is in the unattend.xml file. Do you have the unattend.xml file with the proper settings and calling REG.eXE to setup the items you want setup.

One more question, is Explorer shell the shell? Or are you using a command shell?

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Hi Sean,

Not sure how to tell if the unattend.xml has the proper setting to call REG.EXE.

I checked the answer file and it appears that neither the Explorer shell nor the command shell are set.  The only item checked is Shell Foundation (2 Offline Servicing) Start = Value 2.

JOse

Thursday, October 6, 2011 10:33 PM
  • My questions were confusing. Let me clarify,

What is the shell to the final image?  Explorer or custom? What do you have setup in ICE?

-Sean

Friday, October 7, 2011 12:22 AM
  • I think your question was clear.  I'm not sure what to look for.  I am using ICE that I'm sure off.  But not sure where or how to find out if it is Explorer or Custom?
    Friday, October 7, 2011 1:16 AM
  • Does ist look like normal windows or do you get the cmd windows? but anyway i guess it's explorer shell (normal windows).

This thread might be include a solution for your issue.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/quebeceefs/thread/89ab31b3-6eac-4c2e-9e34-f7f02d71e84f

As is said i'm not using Audit Mode so far. (i will in the next time.) - and after no complaining from sean, i think i read right about settings in audit mode, but anyway. if your changee become resetted might have to go another way like seans wants to explain with the regfile running it after oobe. therefore the thread (will) explains a solution.

In short: run a (a)syncronous command with "reg.exe import regfile.reg" and you're settings will be done.

While writing this post. What changes exactly changed won't apply while sysprep?
    Maybe this blogentry can help you.

http://copyprofile.blogspot.com/2009/12/sysprep-with-copyprofile-setting-right.html

"Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    Friday, October 7, 2011 1:37 AM
  • okay I am using explorer.
    Friday, October 7, 2011 8:55 PM