none
In some sub reports there's now EmptyCells impossible to delete RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have reports with sub reports. Some of the sub reports now takes a lot of place on the main report. When i check why, I find that the sub reports now have something called EmptyCell "(emptycell12, emptycell13 etc).

The EmptyCells cant be deleted. But I can change the size of them.

What is this? And how can I remove them?

Best // Peter Forss Stockholm and Sigtuna GMT +1.00

Monday, July 27, 2015 7:36 AM

Answers

• Which version of Access do you use? Regarding the layout grid, they are all a bit different. The following picture is from Access 2013. If you click into a single cell, do you see the little square with the + in it? You can Click on this to select the wole grid. Alternately, on the Arrange tab in the Ribbon, you can click "Select Layout". On the Arrange tab, you can then click "Remove Layout". This should remove all empty cells. I think you will have to do this for the header, detail and footer sections separately.

It seems that I cannot upload the picture right now. But you should be able to get it here:

http://1drv.ms/1Jpsqvd

Matthias Kläy, Kläy Computing AG

• Edited by mklaey Monday, July 27, 2015 12:56 PM picture
    • Marked as answer by ForssPeterNova Monday, July 27, 2015 1:34 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2015 12:55 PM

All replies

• This comes from the grid that is used in Access Layout View (available since Access 2007). See, e.g. here:

https://support.office.com/en-ca/article/Modify-edit-or-change-a-report-2837aea7-0ee5-4c81-9f0f-5cf324c2c3bd

To answer your question, you cannot remove empty cells one by one, you must remove the whole row: In design view of the report, hover the mouse over the left border of the leftmost "EmptyCell" untill you see an arrow that points to the right. Now click and this will select the whole empty row. Press the Delete key to remove this row.  

Monday, July 27, 2015 8:42 AM
  • Matthias

In this case there is only one EmptyCell in the row of the head of the report. Name of that cell is EmptyCell12.
    In the foot there is another EmptyCell13.
    I have tried to mark the whole row in the head by "hover the mouse over the left border of the leftmost EmptyCell, then click to select the whole empty row." Then delete. But the EmptyCell stays.
    I Have also selected EmptyCell12 and EmptyCell13 at the same time and tried to delete them. No Succes.

In the picture below I used Ctrl + A to see if there is more on the rows. But there is not.

So the EmptyCells is still there :-(

Monday, July 27, 2015 12:13 PM
  • Which version of Access do you use? Regarding the layout grid, they are all a bit different. The following picture is from Access 2013. If you click into a single cell, do you see the little square with the + in it? You can Click on this to select the wole grid. Alternately, on the Arrange tab in the Ribbon, you can click "Select Layout". On the Arrange tab, you can then click "Remove Layout". This should remove all empty cells. I think you will have to do this for the header, detail and footer sections separately.

It seems that I cannot upload the picture right now. But you should be able to get it here:

http://1drv.ms/1Jpsqvd

• Edited by mklaey Monday, July 27, 2015 12:56 PM picture
    • Marked as answer by ForssPeterNova Monday, July 27, 2015 1:34 PM
    Monday, July 27, 2015 12:55 PM
  • I use Access 2013.

If I click into a single cell there is no square with a + in it. The square is grey.
    The "Remove Layout" (in Swedish "Ta bort layout") is grey too. Se pic.

Monday, July 27, 2015 1:27 PM
  • Think I found the way ...

I had to select the EmptyCell.

Then I have to click "Tabular" first, to make "Remove Layout" active.

After that it was possible to delete the EmptyCell.

Thank you so much for guiding me.

Monday, July 27, 2015 1:34 PM