locked
creation of SSP on SQL Server 2008 generates an error has occured while accessing the SQL Server database RRS feed

  • Question

  • Guys I have a very strange problem going on when I create SSP's in Sharepoint 2007 SP2 the environment is 2 WFE'S one index server also I have a few SQL servers in this setup.

    I have one SQL server that I'm migrating away from it currently holds my config database and SSP databases.  However, I'm migrating over to 2 new SQL servers that are running Windows Server 2008 SP2 and SQL Server 2008  x64 SP1 these servers are configured for database mirroring.

    Also I'm using an alias to connect to my SQL mirrored servers ok let's get to the problem I went in created a new SSP I provisioned the SSP'S content databases, services database, and search database all on the new mirrors. After I was done I than tried to access user profiles and properties   and search settings when access profiles and properties I received error.

     

    " An error has occurred while accessing the SQL Server database or the Office SharePoint Server Search service. If this is the first time you have seen this message, try again later. If this problem persists, contact your administrator."

    When access search settings I recieved "An indexer is not assigned to the shared services provider 'prodsp' the funny thing is I've already assigned the SSP to an index server. Also more confusing is if I create an SSP and point everything to my SQL 2005 box everything works great. I thought this was something to do with Sharepoint use of named pipes so I went back and configured the SQL 2008 boxes for named pipes still I receive the same error. Thanks in advance on this one because it’s one of the strangest errors I’ve seen since.

    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Sunday, April 4, 2010 7:48 AM Moving to admin although as this is the index server Search was also a possibility. Not certainly General. (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Saturday, April 3, 2010 7:42 PM

Answers

  • I have not migrated the config database however I actually created a new SSP on the sql 2008 servers that included dedicated web apps for mysites and the ssp. The problem I was experiencing had to be a problem with my index server because after it was fixed I was able to access all search areas of the ssp. I went into services.msc and stopped the physical search service than after that I stopped sharepoints search webservice by running stsadm -o osearch -action stop than I re provisioned the index server by running stsadm -o search -roles queyindex than stsadm -osearch -action start rebooted the server and everything came backup. The funny thing is I had already ran through the previous commands twice.  As of right now I'm having another strange search problem but I will start a new thread for that one
    • Marked as answer by GuYuming Tuesday, April 6, 2010 1:21 AM
    Monday, April 5, 2010 8:47 PM

All replies

  • Have you migrated the configuration database and central administration content database to the new SQL server? If you have, how did you do that?

     

    When you create new SSP, you should specify the MySite web application and SSP admin web application, have you created these two new web applications or just use the old one? If you use the old one, have you migrated the content databases for these two web application?

     

    Sine you are creating new SSP, what have done with the old SSP? Deleted it?

     

     

     

    Gu Yuming

    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

    Monday, April 5, 2010 1:33 AM
  • I have not migrated the config database however I actually created a new SSP on the sql 2008 servers that included dedicated web apps for mysites and the ssp. The problem I was experiencing had to be a problem with my index server because after it was fixed I was able to access all search areas of the ssp. I went into services.msc and stopped the physical search service than after that I stopped sharepoints search webservice by running stsadm -o osearch -action stop than I re provisioned the index server by running stsadm -o search -roles queyindex than stsadm -osearch -action start rebooted the server and everything came backup. The funny thing is I had already ran through the previous commands twice.  As of right now I'm having another strange search problem but I will start a new thread for that one
    • Marked as answer by GuYuming Tuesday, April 6, 2010 1:21 AM
    Monday, April 5, 2010 8:47 PM