Adding retention tags to folder using EWS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to add retention policies to user folders programatically, using EWS

I am taking one of the available retention tags and applying it to a custom Folder. Doing so, through code I can see that proper tag is getting applied (I am checking the value of extended property 0x3019).  However, when I open outlook, select the custom folder and click on Policy in ribbon under Folders tab, I don't see the retention tag applied. I even waited for few hours, but still tags didn't get applied.

Can someone please suggest, what might be going wrong here?

For reference, I have added the code snippet below. Thanks much for help.

try

{

// parameters to handle pagination in folders

Guid rGUID = Guid.NewGuid();

int pageSize = 1000;

int offset = 0;

bool moreItems = true;

bUserHasRecords = false;

logMessage = "Accessing user mailbox" + userEmail + "......";

Console.WriteLine("Accessing user mailbox " + userEmail + "......");

// Set impersonated mailbox

ImpersonatedUserId idIEMX = new ImpersonatedUserId(ConnectingIdType.SmtpAddress, userEmail);

this.serviceEWS.ImpersonatedUserId = idIEMX;

GetUserRetentionPolicyTagsResponse rententionTags = this.serviceEWS.GetUserRetentionPolicyTags();

foreach (RetentionPolicyTag retentionTag in rententionTags.RetentionPolicyTags)

{

if (retentionTag.DisplayName.Equals("5 Year Delete", StringComparison.InvariantCultureIgnoreCase))

rGUID = retentionTag.RetentionId;                

}

ExtendedPropertyDefinition extendedPropertyRetentionTag = new ExtendedPropertyDefinition(0x3019,Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.MapiPropertyType.Binary);

// Get root folder handle

Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.Folder rootfolder = null;

rootfolder = Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.Folder.Bind(this.serviceEWS, WellKnownFolderName.MsgFolderRoot);

rootfolder.Load();

FolderView fv = new FolderView(pageSize, offset);

// Search for deep folder traversals

fv.Traversal = FolderTraversal.Deep;

fv.PropertySet = new PropertySet(BasePropertySet.IdOnly, FolderSchema.DisplayName, extendedPropertyRetentionTag);

while (moreItems)

{

FindFoldersResults fr1 = rootfolder.FindFolders(fv);

// check if more items are available

moreItems = fr1.MoreAvailable;

if (moreItems)

fv.Offset += pageSize;

//Loop through each folder

foreach (Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.Folder folder in fr1)

{

logMessage += "Accessing folder: " + folder.DisplayName + "......";                   

if (folder.DisplayName.Equals("Unfiled", StringComparison.InvariantCultureIgnoreCase))

{

folder.SetExtendedProperty(extendedPropertyRetentionTag, rGUID.ToByteArray());

folder.Update();

}

}

}               

}

catch (System.Exception ex)

{

logMessage += ex.ToString();

Console.WriteLine(ex.ToString());

logger.WriteMessage(logMessage);

}

ashishshukla.1183

Thursday, October 20, 2016 8:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you going to set Retention policies using Extended properties then there are three properties that need to stamped your only stamping one see https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/akashb/2011/08/10/stamping-retention-policy-tag-using-ews-managed-api-1-1-from-powershellexchange-2010/ .

However I would suggest you don't use the Extended property and use the Strongly Typed PolicyTag property on the Folder/Item https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj191464(v=exchg.150).aspx which is the supported way of doing this on 2013 up

Cheers
    Glen

Friday, October 21, 2016 5:06 AM
  • Thanks Glen for the suggestions.

I made the below changes to the code. Code got executed without any error, but I am still unable to see the tag specified in the Outlook.

if (folder.DisplayName.Equals("Unfiled", StringComparison.InvariantCultureIgnoreCase))

{

PolicyTag pTag = new PolicyTag(true, rGUID);

folder.PolicyTag = pTag;                           

folder.Update();

}

Can you suggest, if I am doing something wrong.

ashishshukla.1183

Friday, October 21, 2016 3:42 PM
  • Ignore the above post.

Policy was visible on folder after 10-15 mins. Not sure why the delay was.

ashishshukla.1183

Friday, October 21, 2016 3:52 PM
  • These changes take time to propagate
    Tuesday, March 3, 2020 10:01 PM