Crystal Reports XI causing SQL server login errors RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone run across this?  When we use Crystal Reports XI to access any SQL server, either 2000 or 2005, it connects and runs but leaves a login error on in the server logs.  We've tried using Crystal from XP with SQL ODBC v2000.85.1132.00, and from Win7 with SQL ODBC v6.01.7600.16385, and the same thing happens.  We don't see any login errors from the Crystal Reports interface, and data is returned. 

Any ideas would be appreciated (the dba's audit reports are upsetting him).

TIA!!

Friday, May 21, 2010 2:48 PM

Answers

• My guess. Crystal reports is trying to connect in two different ways. The first way fails, and causes the error. But it's smart enough to try again in some other way, and the second connection method suceeds and provides the data. Is it connecting using Windows Authentication, or SQL Server Authentication? And which is 'Reports'?
    Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online
    • Marked as answer by dallaz100 Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:59 PM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 7:49 PM

All replies

• What's the error? The error number, error text, and often the error state would be useful.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 3:04 PM
  • Hi, Rick,

There is no error number in the server log, but the error text is:

"Login failed for user 'Reports' -   That's it, no other numbers or text.

Friday, May 21, 2010 3:34 PM
  • My guess. Crystal reports is trying to connect in two different ways. The first way fails, and causes the error. But it's smart enough to try again in some other way, and the second connection method suceeds and provides the data. Is it connecting using Windows Authentication, or SQL Server Authentication? And which is 'Reports'?
    • Marked as answer by dallaz100 Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:59 PM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 7:49 PM
  • The ODBC's set up to use Server Authentication, and "Reports" is the generic login.  So you think it might be failing with that and then switching to Windows Auth and logging in that way?  That's interesting.  I'll try using Windows Authentication and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks, Rick!

Sunday, May 30, 2010 7:43 PM
  • That was it, Rick.  They changed the server to use Windows Authentication (a breakdown in communication, I guess), yet the ODBC was set to use Server Authentication.  Once I changed that, no errors.

Thanks a lot!  Saved me a lot of time!

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:59 PM