MSSQL 2012 Standard - Replication between Live and Reporting Servers. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello folks

I'm not a DBA. But I've been tasked with speccing up an environment for a client.

Data is stored for 15 years and is currently 200GB after running for 7-8 years. They're on SQL2000 and looking to move to a new, virtual environment. Their existing server is an old box where the reporting is directly from the main data store. This can cause slow downs and isn't ideal in a real time data capture situation.

So...the ideal scenario is to have a Live Server and a Reporting Server. Looking at a Hex core dedicated box (within VM ware). Live having affinity to 4 cores and Reporting to 2 cores.

Due to cost, we'd ideally use Standard Edition

What's the best/fastest method for replicating the data from Live to Reporting? It must have no/minimal impact upon the Live server and be as "real time" as possible. 0-5 minutes ideally. 

Any suggestions or thoughts?

I've posted this elsewhere for more exposure. Thanks in advance.
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:40 AM

Answers

• If I am not getting wrong you are looking for an options to setup replication after migrating the databses into SQL 2012.

I will suggest to go via Setting up replication via Backup & restore method.

Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

• Edited by RohitGarg Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by amber zhang Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:49 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:19 PM
  • Help me out here a little... First you say you would like to have a dedicated reporting server... one sentence later you are talking about ONE VM? What should it be? If you have TWO Servers (one dedicated for production and one dedicated for reporting) then you should go for either replication or AlwaysOn Availability Group with readable secondary...

If you want to do this on one box and just want to dedicate cores to differnt workloads I would opt for using Resource Governer...

Saturday, August 25, 2012 7:02 PM

All replies

• If I am not getting wrong you are looking for an options to setup replication after migrating the databses into SQL 2012.

I will suggest to go via Setting up replication via Backup & restore method.

Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

• Edited by RohitGarg Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:19 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:19 PM
  • Help me out here a little... First you say you would like to have a dedicated reporting server... one sentence later you are talking about ONE VM? What should it be? If you have TWO Servers (one dedicated for production and one dedicated for reporting) then you should go for either replication or AlwaysOn Availability Group with readable secondary...

If you want to do this on one box and just want to dedicate cores to differnt workloads I would opt for using Resource Governer...

Saturday, August 25, 2012 7:02 PM