Redirect URL domain name issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have developed an ASP .NET based application that uses the REST API to browse, upload and download files from a user´s SkyDrive. The application is intended to run on multi functional printers on their integrated web browsers. My intention is to sell the application to customers who will install the application on their servers. The application is working great, so far so good, now to my concern;

My application uses the authorization code grant flow, so I must use a redirect URL. The Redirect URL that I entered when I registered my application (http://MyDomain.com) will not coincide with the domain customers use. What is the idea here? Should I register a new application for each and every customer? During development I have edited my host file to redirect the MyDomain to 127.0.0.1 but that´s not always feasible on a customer´s site and the multi functional printers don´t have a host file integrated in their machines.

Please clarify what´s intended when going live. Thank you!

Regards
    Jan

Sunday, January 29, 2012 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Dare,

I've tried your suggestion. That will probably work if you can get an event when the user actually has signed in. Since my user authenticates himself in a web browser I see no way of catching the response from when the user gets signed in. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards
    Jan 

Janisito
    Please look up various OAuth code samples on the web. The common pattern is for apps to watch the hosted browser until the user is redirected after completing their request by handling the Navigating/Navigated event. If your app isn't hosting the browser control then there isn't a solution that readily comes to mind. 
    • Proposed as answer by Dare Obasanjo - MSFT Wednesday, February 1, 2012 1:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Janisito Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:44 PM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 1:11 PM

All replies

• Hi!

I have developed an ASP .NET based application that uses the REST API to browse, upload and download files from a user´s SkyDrive. The application is intended to run on multi functional printers on their integrated web browsers. My intention is to sell the application to customers who will install the application on their servers. The application is working great, so far so good, now to my concern;

My application uses the authorization code grant flow, so I must use a redirect URL. The Redirect URL that I entered when I registered my application (http://MyDomain.com) will not coincide with the domain customers use. What is the idea here? Should I register a new application for each and every customer? During development I have edited my host file to redirect the MyDomain to 127.0.0.1 but that´s not always feasible on a customer´s site and the multi functional printers don´t have a host file integrated in their machines.

Please clarify what´s intended when going live. Thank you!

Regards
    Jan

If these are desktop style apps then you should consider using the desktop redirect URL as described at  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/hh561319
    • Proposed as answer by Dare Obasanjo - MSFT Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Janisito Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:49 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Janisito Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:17 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:53 AM
  • Hi Dare,

I've tried your suggestion. That will probably work if you can get an event when the user actually has signed in. Since my user authenticates himself in a web browser I see no way of catching the response from when the user gets signed in. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards
    Jan 

Janisito
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:21 PM
  • Hi Dare,

Regards
    Jan 

Janisito
    Please look up various OAuth code samples on the web. The common pattern is for apps to watch the hosted browser until the user is redirected after completing their request by handling the Navigating/Navigated event. If your app isn't hosting the browser control then there isn't a solution that readily comes to mind. 
    • Proposed as answer by Dare Obasanjo - MSFT Wednesday, February 1, 2012 1:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Janisito Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:44 PM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 1:11 PM
  • My app is actually running inside a web browser, so I think, as you say, there is no way for me to access these events.
    Janisito
    • Edited by Janisito Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:44 PM Spelling error
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:43 PM