What is causing my application to require elevation when installed and run on a Windows 7 machine? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've created a VB forms application using VS 2012.  I package and distribute the application using InstallShield LE which packaged with VS 2012.  When I run the application on a Windows 7 machine, it requires elevation.  (I either get the UAC prompt or the "requested operation requires elevation" message, depending on whether I include a separate manifest file in the application directory with the same name as the exe.  I don't know how to tell if my manifest file is already imbedded with the exe when it's built.  The manifest includes a level="asInvoker" statement.)

I'm confused as to why my should require elevation.  I think I followed all UAC the rules, so I'm not sure where to look.

Things to note:

1. I'm using a 3rd party FTP DLL (Chilkat).  However, FTP is used primarily to send files from the PC.  In the one case where I use GET to write a  file to the PC, the new file is placed into Application.UserAppDataPath.
    2. The application uses various settings (via App.Config and Settings.settings files.)  The settings are bound to various form controls.

The UAC message appears immediately when the application is launched, making me wonder if the settings (.config .settings) function is triggering this somehow.

Anything to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Friday, January 11, 2013 8:05 PM

All replies