none
About creating 3D models meshes

Question

• Since the MSRDS Simulation environment doesn't provide 3D model mesh creation capability, it's been suggested we use a 3rd party modeling tool to create a mesh representation of any physical object.

Can anyone here provide a great 3D modeling tool recommendation (preferably a free one, or inexpenseive one) that will export the alias.obj format that is required by MSRDS?

Thanks,

SamQ

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:40 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can try Blender, it supports a lot off file types including *.obj, but I create models in different way. I'm not skilled in using Blender so I draw the model in google Sketchup (free edition), then I export the model with plugin to *.obj, plugin file name obj_export_1.1.rb (I don't remember where I get it from). Then I import it to Blender, resize it so it has the real dimensions, then I add some colors and export it to *.obj again. Then you have two files *.obj and *.mtl (material file with colors). All you need to do with the files is to copy them into the mrs\store\media directory and you can use the *.obj file as mesh. MRS will then generate *.bos file and you can use this file too.

Mastr
    Monday, April 28, 2008 5:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can try Blender, it supports a lot off file types including *.obj, but I create models in different way. I'm not skilled in using Blender so I draw the model in google Sketchup (free edition), then I export the model with plugin to *.obj, plugin file name obj_export_1.1.rb (I don't remember where I get it from). Then I import it to Blender, resize it so it has the real dimensions, then I add some colors and export it to *.obj again. Then you have two files *.obj and *.mtl (material file with colors). All you need to do with the files is to copy them into the mrs\store\media directory and you can use the *.obj file as mesh. MRS will then generate *.bos file and you can use this file too.

Mastr
    Monday, April 28, 2008 5:29 AM
  • Here is the URL to the mentioned plugin

http://jim.foltz.googlepages.com/obj_export_1.1.rb

Opportunistically, I need a mesh for the pioneer P2AT Robot, I haven't been able to find any over internet... does someone know where to look for it?

Thanks

Zen
    Monday, December 29, 2008 5:28 PM