Previous Major Versions Showing in Search Results RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with SharePoint 2013 Search and a document library with Major/Minor Versions. If a user publishes a document, then publishes it again, both versions are showing in search results, so the search of a specific document results in two hits.

I would think it makes sense that you would only see the document once in Search Results and it should only return the last Published Major Version...

So if there is a document that is published twice it will show twice ??  This is critical that I solve this issue ASAP, the search results web part is set to remove duplicates, yet this is occurring

Any assistance would be appreciated

DWM

Friday, February 19, 2016 5:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Devin,

From your description, previous major versions showing in search results.

How do you remove duplicates in the search results web part?

I have tested my SharePoint 2013 environment, however, I could not reproduce the issue.

By default SharePoint search only indexes the current version and only files that are approved.

I assume you’ve changed the "TrimDuplicates" of search results web part, the default value of "TrimDuplicates" is true,  if you have set the "TrimDuplicates" to false, then  previous major versions will show in search results.

1. Export the search result webpart and save it on disk.
    2. Edit the *.webpart file that was exported in notepad.
    3. Look for the text: "TrimDuplicates".
    4. Change it to: "TrimDuplicates":True.
    5. Save the file and import it as a new webpart.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 22, 2016 4:21 AM
  • Trim Duplicates was set.  This appeared to be a temporary anomaly, the index cleaned itself up and it no longer occurs.  I am going to let it go for now

DWM

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Devin,

From your description, previous major versions showing in search results.

How do you remove duplicates in the search results web part?

I have tested my SharePoint 2013 environment, however, I could not reproduce the issue.

By default SharePoint search only indexes the current version and only files that are approved.

I assume you’ve changed the "TrimDuplicates" of search results web part, the default value of "TrimDuplicates" is true,  if you have set the "TrimDuplicates" to false, then  previous major versions will show in search results.

1. Export the search result webpart and save it on disk.
    2. Edit the *.webpart file that was exported in notepad.
    3. Look for the text: "TrimDuplicates".
    4. Change it to: "TrimDuplicates":True.
    5. Save the file and import it as a new webpart.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 22, 2016 4:21 AM
  • Trim Duplicates was set.  This appeared to be a temporary anomaly, the index cleaned itself up and it no longer occurs.  I am going to let it go for now

DWM

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:14 PM
  • Hi Devin,

Since the issue is solved.

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:48 AM