none
RTF, HTML Or WPF Flow Document Rendering RRS feed

Answers

•  

We are still hoping to fit rich text support into RS 2008. The current CTP does not contain this functionality.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 3:18 PM
  • Sorry, Word rendering is not included in the November CTP.  It is planned for a future CTP.

-- Robert

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:53 PM
  • Hi, Robert

I think when people read this thread, initially they confused 2 different topics.  There a lot of replies with regards to the Word Rendering features promised in Katmai.  However this thread is regarding the support of HTML and/or RTF formatted text in a textbox within the body of the report.

So you're one of the few interested in the same topic as the original post.  To answer your question, I believe that Microsoft is working on supporting HTML-formatted text from the dataset on a textbox, but they are not looking at RTF at this moment.  I don't believe this is in the November CTP yet, but it should make the cut for RTM (or even the next CTP).

I, too, have this requirement, and in order to address it currently, we've created a custom code library with a function that takes the RTF string passed from the report, and use the System.Windows.Forms.RichTextBox control as follows (there's some Code Access Security implications for using this, so you have to apply the correct CAS decorators and change the RS policy file accordingly to allow this to be executed by the report):

C#

public static string GetTextFromRTF(string input) {

RichTextBox myBox = new RichTextBox();

myBox.Rtf = input;

return myBox.Text;

}

The only issue with this is that any rich formatting is lost, since you're just displaying the plain text equivalent.  Also, in the HTML viewer, any spacing on linebreaks are not respected since they're not formatted as HTML tags.  When printed or exported to PDF or TIFF, the spaces and line breaks show up correctly, though, so my client hasn't complained much Smile

Like I said, I believe that MS plans to addres HTML-formatted text in this release, but not RTF, yet.  This has nothing to do with the different renderers, and exporting reports to RTF or Word DOC, though (for all the others who may read this thread).

Regards,

Friday, December 7, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Hi Braxton,

the RS Rich Text functionality is not available in CTP6 yet, but is planned to be included with the next CTP.  Stay tuned and thanks for your interest.

-- Robert

Monday, March 3, 2008 5:33 AM
  • Hi everyone,

Wow, a long thread Smile   As someone said earlier on the thread I think there is some confusion about the various features we have planned in this space.  Let me try to clear it up.

Here are features that are either already released, or will be part of CTP Refresh:

1. Word DOC export - This is the ability to export reports to native Word DOC format.  This was first released in the February CTP.
    2. HTML markup import - This is the ability to pull in HTML markup from a database or some other external source, and have the markup parsed, processed, and displayed appropriately.  This feature is done, and will be in CTP Refresh.
    3. Mixed formatting - Think of the way you can mix text formatting when writing posts on this forum.  You can now do the same things inside of SSRS Textboxes.  You can also mix and match static and dynamic text for "mail merge" scenarios.  This is also complete, and will be in CTP Refresh.

These are features that will not be in SSRS 2008:

1. Rich Text Format RTF export - The ability to export reports as RTF files.
    2. RTF markup import - Similar to the HTML markup feature above, but with RTF strings instead of HTML markup.

Let me know if there are any more questions.

Thanks,

Chris

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Hello,

I'll try to address each of your questions:

1) Rounded Rectangle corners - This feature does not exist natively in SSRS.

2) To display HTML markup today, you need a SQL Server 2008 report server.  Support for HTML markup in the ReportViewer controls in Local Mode is not yet available but is currently in the works

As for your last question, you can build reports that pull data from any data source.  So, a report built with and deployed on SSRS 2008 can pull data from SSRS 2000.  But, that won't help you with your HTML markup requirements for the reasons I mentioned above.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Friday, September 5, 2008 4:11 PM
  • Word rendering will be available in the next Report Viewer control coming from Visual Studio. 

We do not have a date we are communicating for a CTP of this functionality.  Sorry about that, it's some more wait and see for you.

Thanks,
    -Lukasz
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Yes, it is a little confusing :).  Here's the story in a nut shell:

VS 2008 Report Viewer - Local Mode: No RTF like support, No Word Rendering

VS 2008 Report Viewer - Server Mode - Connected to SSRS 2008: RTF like support, Word Rendering

VS 2008 Report Viewer - Server Mode - Connected to SSRS 2005: No RTF like support, No Word Rendering

VS 2010 CTP Report Viewer does not yet contain the updated Report Viewer code.  But VS 2010 Report Viewer will before it ships.

Hope that helps,

-Lukasz

Friday, February 27, 2009 7:37 PM
  • I figured this one out. In the text box, double-click until you get the flashing cursor. Then right-click --> Create Placeholder --> Pick your Label, Value, and then select the HTML option.

Spent two days trying to figure this out and it was so easy Stick out tongue
    David

Monday, April 13, 2009 5:36 PM

All replies

•  

We are still hoping to fit rich text support into RS 2008. The current CTP does not contain this functionality.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 3:18 PM
  • I just want to clarify one of Brian's points -- we are not planning to do an RTF renderer (a renderer that exports .RTF files).  We are hoping, however, to include a Word (.DOC) renderer.

WPF Flow Documents is definitely an interesting request but it won't be in SQL Server 2008.  We hope to get to this sometime in the near future.

I'm confused about why you mentioned HTML -- we've had an HTML renderer since day one.  Is there something else you're looking for?

Best regards,

Chris

Thursday, August 2, 2007 10:15 PM
  • Hi Chris,

what we need is not a renderer to create RTF output. We need a complement to the RichTextBox in Windows Forms for creating formatted text on a sheet of paper.

Best regards

Fritz

Friday, August 3, 2007 9:18 AM
  • Hey Fritz,

Thanks for clarifying.  The feature you describe is also something we are working hard to include in SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 in a future CTP.

Best regards,

Chris

Saturday, August 4, 2007 1:43 AM
  •  

I too am intersted in HTML rendering - yes reporting services can render a reportin HTML but I have database info that is escaped HTML that I would like to include in the report - report service BI Studio built reports do not have any function to render these as rich text or anything

Thats what I am looking for

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 6:09 AM
  •  

That is the feature Chris is talking about - the ability to have textboxes with rich formatting based on html markup.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2007 3:49 PM
  • I too am keen to see this feature added, its the one feature that is really lagging compared to other reporting engines.

Not the overall export format, the inclusion of a textbox that can be formatted by content data, such as RTF or HTML.

(Even if only limited, as usually in our cases its just for some emphasis such as bold, italic, font color and font size changes)

I really hope you are able to include this feature in this 2008 release (in SQL 2005 would be nice too, but I guess can't expect too much when working on the current dev version)

Thanks

Brian

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 12:08 AM
  • Hi Brian,

Thanks for the feedback.  We are hoping that this feature will get into 2008.  Stay tuned for further updates.  Can you elaborate on some of your scenarios that require this functionality?  Anything more you can tell us will help us prioritize this feature more appropriately.

Currently, the plan is to support HTML input but not RTF.  Is there one markup format that is more important for you?

Best regards,
    Chris
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 3:43 AM
  • Hi Chris,

I am gonna chime in on this one, and say that I have a very large client right now that has RTF-formatted data coming straight from their ERP database (not HTML).  We have report requirements to display this data, and unfortunately, the only way to do this right now is to use custom code that imports the System.Windows namespace and uses the RichtTextBox class to "parse" the RTF gunk into a readable text value that we return to the SSRS textbox.

It would be nice to have a report item that can display either HTML or RTF formatted data appropriately.

Regards,

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 6:03 PM
  • Our formatted data is currently stored in HTML, however we were considering using RTF given the editing limitations in smart client apps on vista where the dhtml edit control has been limited. We have since worked out ways around this, so it is HTML formatted data for us.

Hope this helps and you are able to get the feature working in this 2008 release.

As we are building smart client apps, the ReportViewer component is critical for us to support this.

If you were after someone to alpha test the report viewer component with this feature, i'd be very keen to participate.

Thanks for the speedy reply,

Brian

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 12:06 AM
  • Chris,

There are a few components around that do some form of conversion between RTF and HTML, so if the report viewer supports the rendering of HTML, then its possible you could use one of them as a workaround to get the formatted content displaying using an extension component in the report, or some preprocessing in SQL (yuk).

It only needs to be a one way conversion to HTML, as there is no edit in reporting ;-)

That said, it would be nicer if the component itself supported it naturally (even if MS ended up doing this behind the scenes...)

Regards

Brian

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 12:14 AM
  • For us the ability to render HTML (at long last) is critical.  We use reporting services with Project Server 2007.  It is frustrating to have to strip out all of the HTML code prior to displaying the reports.  To see an example, get a copy of the Project Server 2007 demo image from your product group and run the Project Server Report pack reports.  They don't look very good due to all of the html showing up.
    Friday, August 24, 2007 9:35 PM
  • Hi, Chris. One feature that would be great: Word export from the local reports that use the ReportViewer control.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:03 PM
  • I agree with the need for Microsoft Word as an export format. A Word renderer is mentioned in an overview doc (http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/c/d/acd8e043-d69b-4f09-bc9e-4168b65aaa71/SQLServer2008BI.doc) so it seems it is already in the works for a future CTP or beta:

"Microsoft Office Word: A word processing application that you can use as a format for reports. Use the new, highly requested report renderer for Microsoft Word, which enables you to render SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services reports in Word format."

Additionally, the ability to view and author reports from within Microsoft Office applications such as Word will be much more approachable to most casual business users. My understanding from an announcement back in May at the Microsoft BI conference is that Microsoft acquired a product to gain this capability and intends to include it in SQL Server 2008.

Monday, September 10, 2007 10:52 PM
  • HI i was just going thru the posts here in the above mentioned thread
    what im looking for is the same
    exporting reports to word / rtf formats locally
    i was just wondering if u have come across any solutions so far for this?
    need help urgently for this
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:03 PM
  • Hi kuruvilla,

I don't know if Microsoft has made this feature available in a SSRS 2008 CTP yet. However, if your need is urgent you might consider either writing your own custom renderer using Office Automation (see this MSDN magazine article http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/02/CustomRenderers/default.aspx) or purchase a 3rd party product that integrates with SSRS. SoftArtisans' OfficeWriter is a product you might look at - http://officewriter.softartisans.com/officewriter-250.aspx. Microsoft announced earlier in the year (May 2007) that they planned to incorporate the OfficeWriter product into SQL Server 2008 to support both authoring in popular Office applications like Word and Excel as well as rendering reports to Word (.doc) format.

Hope this helps.

Microsoft, any news on future availability in a CTP of the Word (.doc) renderer and the OfficeWriter authoring functionality? Last I had heard, the authoring piece was the furthest out and possibly at risk of making the 2008 release. I hope that isn't the case but if it is then any guidance on whether it might come later in 2008 as an add-on or separate download or would we have to wait for the next full release?

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 2:59 PM
  • is this word rendering include in ctp 2008 november release?
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:18 AM
  • Sorry, Word rendering is not included in the November CTP.  It is planned for a future CTP.

-- Robert

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:53 PM
  • Hello,

I've heard a lot about including a rich text box in 2008.

Now is this feature a component of 2008 or not, and can

i reckon that this feature is in one of the following CTPs ?

It is very very very ....... very important for us to schow rtf fields

on our reports because we have a lot of rtf stored in our DB.

It's determining if we choose Crystal Report Server or SQL Reporting Services

In Crystal this is a well known feature !!!!!!

Greets Robert

Friday, December 7, 2007 8:45 AM
  • Hi, Robert

I think when people read this thread, initially they confused 2 different topics.  There a lot of replies with regards to the Word Rendering features promised in Katmai.  However this thread is regarding the support of HTML and/or RTF formatted text in a textbox within the body of the report.

So you're one of the few interested in the same topic as the original post.  To answer your question, I believe that Microsoft is working on supporting HTML-formatted text from the dataset on a textbox, but they are not looking at RTF at this moment.  I don't believe this is in the November CTP yet, but it should make the cut for RTM (or even the next CTP).

I, too, have this requirement, and in order to address it currently, we've created a custom code library with a function that takes the RTF string passed from the report, and use the System.Windows.Forms.RichTextBox control as follows (there's some Code Access Security implications for using this, so you have to apply the correct CAS decorators and change the RS policy file accordingly to allow this to be executed by the report):

C#

public static string GetTextFromRTF(string input) {

RichTextBox myBox = new RichTextBox();

myBox.Rtf = input;

return myBox.Text;

}

The only issue with this is that any rich formatting is lost, since you're just displaying the plain text equivalent.  Also, in the HTML viewer, any spacing on linebreaks are not respected since they're not formatted as HTML tags.  When printed or exported to PDF or TIFF, the spaces and line breaks show up correctly, though, so my client hasn't complained much Smile

Like I said, I believe that MS plans to addres HTML-formatted text in this release, but not RTF, yet.  This has nothing to do with the different renderers, and exporting reports to RTF or Word DOC, though (for all the others who may read this thread).

Regards,

Friday, December 7, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Thiago, just curious:

Why would you create a new RichTextBox() every time you have to render the text?  Why not have a member richtextbox initialized earlier, and just have it do the text parsing at this point in the code?

Also, what is the advantage to doing this over using regular expressions to strip the formatting codes out?  Do you find that the representation is more exact with respect to white space, for example?

FWIW, you *can* support the rich formatting, if you are willing to go the custom control route, but then you lose searchability (because the result is an image) so I think just putting out the text is better, if you have to choose...

Also FWIW, you are absolutely right about the confusion in this thread: Word or RTF as a target format versus in-line rich formatting of a single control within the layout.

Thanks for pointing that out and for posting,

>L<
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Lisa,

the reports that I've seen using this only return a row of data and therefore only create 1 instance of the richtexbox class, and this is due to the nature of the reports.

You're absolutely right that it could have used a member instance instead and it would be much better performance if we were dealing with a repeating cell.

Regards,

Thiago

Friday, January 11, 2008 10:46 AM
  • You're right, with only 1 in the report it won't make any difference (rich text box or reg expr either -- except for possibly getting rid of the permissions problems if you use regex, since it would be very simple code and you might as well embed it in the report! <s>)

I don't have a reference on hand but I'm pretty sure (for anybody reading who needs this) that you can search for "strip rtf regular expression" or something like that and get an appropriate pattern.

>L<

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:15 PM
  • We just looked at the Feb 2008 CTP and didn't find it..

It is critical that we get it because we want to print contracts with BOLDED WORDS in the center for legal emphasis. I tried band aiding with a manual alignment of smaller fields but they came out hideous.

Any information about seeing the feature in a future CTP or a guarantee that it will be in the final product wil be very important to us and our clients.

Thank you,

Braxton

Friday, February 29, 2008 9:27 PM
  • Hi Braxton,

the RS Rich Text functionality is not available in CTP6 yet, but is planned to be included with the next CTP.  Stay tuned and thanks for your interest.

-- Robert

Monday, March 3, 2008 5:33 AM
  • Robert, Thank you for your prompt response.

You make me proud to own MSFT Stock!

I have shown this to my boss and of course we understand it your best information, subject to change.

But hopefully not too much change.

I would like to know if there is a schedule for CTP7 and 8.

Thank you..

Monday, March 3, 2008 5:55 PM
  • The next CTP will be called "CTP Refresh" and will be the last CTP before the release of SQL Server 2008.  The timing of CTP Refresh is not yet announced.

-- Robert

Monday, March 3, 2008 8:31 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Wow, a long thread Smile   As someone said earlier on the thread I think there is some confusion about the various features we have planned in this space.  Let me try to clear it up.

Here are features that are either already released, or will be part of CTP Refresh:

1. Word DOC export - This is the ability to export reports to native Word DOC format.  This was first released in the February CTP.
    2. HTML markup import - This is the ability to pull in HTML markup from a database or some other external source, and have the markup parsed, processed, and displayed appropriately.  This feature is done, and will be in CTP Refresh.
    3. Mixed formatting - Think of the way you can mix text formatting when writing posts on this forum.  You can now do the same things inside of SSRS Textboxes.  You can also mix and match static and dynamic text for "mail merge" scenarios.  This is also complete, and will be in CTP Refresh.

These are features that will not be in SSRS 2008:

1. Rich Text Format RTF export - The ability to export reports as RTF files.
    2. RTF markup import - Similar to the HTML markup feature above, but with RTF strings instead of HTML markup.

Let me know if there are any more questions.

Thanks,

Chris

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Chris,

For those of us who have RTF stored in database tables and need to display RTF in reports,  any suggestions

on where we go from here if SSRS 2008 will not have this functionality ?

Thursday, April 17, 2008 7:27 PM
  • Do we have a status update on the inline bold text?  Will it be in the next CTP for sure?  When will the next CTP be released?

Thanks!

Monday, April 28, 2008 10:14 PM
  • This should be available in the CTP Refresh, aka. RC0, which is the next public beta release of the product.  My assumption is that RC0 will be officially announced sometime around the TechEd 2008 timeframe, or shortly after (early to mid June).

I have seen samples of this, so I can assure that the product team is working, if not completed, that feature.

It will most definitely be in the RTM, which is currently slated for sometime in Q3.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:03 PM
  • If you use the ReportViewer controls in server mode, you'll get Word export as soon as your upgrade your server to SQL 2008 CTP6 or later.  For local mode, Word won't be available until we ship a new version of the controls after SQL 2008 releases.

-Chris
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 5:12 AM
  • Yep, Thiago is correct.  This feature is complete and will be available in RC0.  RC0 will release in late Q2 of 2008.

-Chris
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 5:14 AM
  • I am trying to render the below value from SQL Server in a textbox in SSRS in VS2008:

Code Snippet

<span style="font-weight:bold;">Today<span style="font-style:italic; font-weight:normal;"> is the first&edsp;&edsp;day<span style="text-decoration:underline;">of the <span style="color:Red; border-color:Red; text-decoration:none;">rest <span style="color:Blue; background-color:Yellow; border-color:Blue;">of your <span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration:underline;">life.</span></span></span></span></span></span>

Any idea how?

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:44 PM
  • You need to define a placeholder within a textbox (right-click and choose the placeholder option), and then set the properties to accept HTML formatting.  Check out the SQL Books Online for details.

hope this points you in the right direction.

Regards,

Thiago Silva

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:33 AM
  • Thank you.  Is there any reason I do not see 'placeholder' as an option when I right-click on the textbox in SSRS?

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:35 PM
  • I noticed something.  I downloaded MSFT SQL Server Report Builder 2.0 and if I edit my report using it, I see the placeholder option and can set it in the texbox.

However, once I do that, I can no longer edit or see the report in the VS2008 ide.  I am working with C# in VS2008 and created my reports there.  In fact, the project no longer builds and returns this error:

Error 1 The report definition is not valid.  Details: The report definition has an invalid target namespace 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2008/01/reportdefinition' which cannot be upgraded. 

I noticed that the Report Builder is looking for .rdl files (although I can edit rdlc files) and VS2008 is looking for rdlc files.

If I edit the original rdlc file and add the html markup:

<MarkupType>HTML</MarkupType>

Attempting to open the rdlc file in VS2008 returns this error:

Deserialization failed: The element 'Textbox' in namespace 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2005/01/reportdefinition' has invalid child element 'MarkupType' in namespace 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2005/01/reportdefinition'. List of possible elements expected: 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2005/01/reportdefinition: Style http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2005/01/reportdefinition:Action http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2005/01/reportdefinition:Top http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2005/01/reportdefinition:Left http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2005/01/reportdefinition:Height http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2005/01/reportdefinition:Width http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2005/01/reportdefinition:ZIndex http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2005/01/reportdefinition:Visibility http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2005/01/reportdefinition:T... Line 786, position 28

So vs2008 is using the 2005 schema and it doesn't support Markup Type?  Anyway to get VS2008 to work with the 2008 schema?  Or am I missing something?

Ok, if I change the schema line from:

<Report xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2005/01/reportdefinition" xmlns:rd="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SQLServer/reporting/reportdesigner">

to:

<Report xmlns:rd="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SQLServer/reporting/reportdesigner" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2008/01/reportdefinition">

obviously won't work because the layout doesn't match the schema.  Any ideas on how to support data stored with html formatting in sql server in a report rdlc file created in VS2008?

TIA,

Tracy

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 3:15 PM
  • ok....you've now given a more complete picture of what you're trying to do which shows that you are using the ReporViewer control in a C# application to render RDLC files.

RDLC files are client-side report files - basically RDL files that have been stripped of a few elements, but mainly Dataset details, because the host application takes care of passing a dataset to the ReportViewer control which in turn couples that dataset with the RDLC report definition in order to process and render a complete report.

You can read most of this stuff below about the ReportViewer from http://www.gotreportviewer.com

But...Here is the scoop:

Unfortunately, the ReportViewer control that shipped with VS2008 is still the same that shipped with VS2005, and only supports/understands the 2005 RDL schema when taking in RDLC files.  This is because the 2008 schema was released with SQL Server 2008 this month, which is much later then when VS2008 RTM'd with the ReportViewer in the toolbox.

This means that you won't get the new HTML formatting support from SSRS 2008 (only available with the 2008 RDL Schema), unless you use "Remote Mode" for the ReportViewer and have full RDLs deployed to a server instance of SSRS 2008 - in that case, all the ReportViewer is doing is requesting a rendered version of the report and the Report Server is actually doing all the heavy lifting.

I anticipate an updated version of the ReportViewer control in the near future that will support the new RDL schema, but that is yet TBD.

Sorry for the bad new.

--

Thiago

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:18 PM
  • Yikes, I suspected as such, but was obviously hoping otherwise.  I was hoping a new version of the ReportViewer control would ship with VS2008 SP1, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I may have to look at remote mode for the reportviewer which brings more into play for deployment.  Still, in design mode in the VS ide, that placeholder option is not available, so does that mean that the reports must be designed using the SQL Server Report Builder 2.0 tool creating an rdl file and never in the VS ide?

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:45 PM
  • Yes, that's correct.

The currently released design environment in VS continues to generate with the SSRS 2005 RDL, so the 2008 features such as HTML markup, mixed text formatting, and Tablix are not available.  You need to use BIDS which ships with SSRS 2008 or Report Builder 2.0 to take advantage of these features.

An updated version of the ReportViewer controls with support for 2008 RDL is forthcoming, but I do not have date to share at this time.

Hope this helps answer some of the questions.

Thanks,

Chris

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:06 PM
  • Thank you.  I am alittle confused on the versions.  Here is our typical environment:

Development:

VS2008 IDE (C# but using vb of course in reporting)

SQLServer 2005

Client:

SQLServer 2000 or higher

Ideally, we wanted to use local reports so the app would push and control the display of the report on each client.  We did not plan to implement report servers.  We have 1300 reports that are being converted from Visual Foxpro 8/9 reports to SSRS reports.

So far, we have only two issues we are trying to resolve:

1.  How to display rectangles with rounded corners (appears we must use images)

2.  How to display html markup stored in sqlserver columns in report objects (usually text that is a combination of bold, italics, underline, etc) that are usually stored in comments or notes fields.

What do you recommend?  I am struggling with displaying the html in SSRS...

Is html rendering only available with Sql Server 2008 and then only when a report server is deployed?  It looks like

SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services report server at deployment site are required to render html?

Another option: can the report be designed using SQL Server 2008 and SSRS 2008/BIDS  and deployed using data stored in SQL Server 2000?

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:23 PM
  • Hello,

I'll try to address each of your questions:

1) Rounded Rectangle corners - This feature does not exist natively in SSRS.

2) To display HTML markup today, you need a SQL Server 2008 report server.  Support for HTML markup in the ReportViewer controls in Local Mode is not yet available but is currently in the works

As for your last question, you can build reports that pull data from any data source.  So, a report built with and deployed on SSRS 2008 can pull data from SSRS 2000.  But, that won't help you with your HTML markup requirements for the reasons I mentioned above.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Friday, September 5, 2008 4:11 PM
  • Thank you Chris.  Any plan to support rounded rectangles natively in SSRS in the near future?

Friday, September 5, 2008 9:09 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Is there any new information on this?  Is there a ctp for VS 2008 what will allow rendering html in a report in local mode in the reportviewer control?  Is word doc export also included in that release?

Thanks,

tracy
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:55 PM
  • Word rendering will be available in the next Report Viewer control coming from Visual Studio. 

We do not have a date we are communicating for a CTP of this functionality.  Sorry about that, it's some more wait and see for you.

Thanks,
    -Lukasz
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:32 PM
  • To verify, the next Report Viewer control for Visual Studio 2008 will include:

1) html rendering in a textbox control in a local report (rdlc) in local mode
    2) export to Word doc of the report from the report view control

?

I'm not sure what 'word rendering' means exactly - does it mean export or rendering rtf or html in a textbox control on the report or both?
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:56 PM
  • No that's not what I said - the next realease of Visual Studio will contain a Report Viewer control that support RS 2008 RDL.  That is not the same as Visual Studio 2008 - it is the version after Visual Studio 2008. 

Word rendering means output to .doc format natively.  It will support html style markup to be exposed in text box.  You can see exactly what I mean by looking at SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services.  The capabilities for RDL and Word rendering are already present there.

Hope that helps,
    -Lukasz

Thursday, February 26, 2009 10:48 PM
  • Thank you for the clarification.  It has gotten somewhat confusing to me because we are researching whether to use SSRS and remote rdls or the local engine and rdlc files in our app.  There are benefits and drawbacks to both.  Great features by MSFT, but it's difficult up-front to decide which route to take.

I downloaded the VS 2010 CTP but I don't see the newer reportviewer control in it.  Perhaps it wasn't ready to be included in the CTP but may be in the final release? :)

Tracy

Friday, February 27, 2009 1:27 PM

VS 2008 Report Viewer - Server Mode - Connected to SSRS 2008: RTF like support, Word Rendering

VS 2008 Report Viewer - Server Mode - Connected to SSRS 2005: No RTF like support, No Word Rendering

VS 2010 CTP Report Viewer does not yet contain the updated Report Viewer code.  But VS 2010 Report Viewer will before it ships.

Hope that helps,

-Lukasz

Friday, February 27, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Very much so.  Thanks.
    Friday, February 27, 2009 7:43 PM
  • Lukasz, your post above helps a lot. I just downloaded and installed the SS 2008 and SSRS 2008 today. My confusion now is how to set the content to display as HTML. If I understand correctly, I have to deploy my report to the SSRS 2008 server to see the HTML rendered as HTML, and on my local machine, I will still see the HTML tags.
    However, according to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc627491.aspx, I have to set the Placeholder properties. When I right-click on the text box, I don't have an option for Placeholder Properties. Any advice?

By the way, I am using the 2008 Express Edition with Reporting Services. I also still have SQL server 2005 installed on my machine. Could that be hindering me?
    Thanks!
    David
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:32 PM
  • I figured this one out. In the text box, double-click until you get the flashing cursor. Then right-click --> Create Placeholder --> Pick your Label, Value, and then select the HTML option.

Spent two days trying to figure this out and it was so easy Stick out tongue
    David

Monday, April 13, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Hi Lukasz,

I am new to this discussion so I apologise if this has been answered somewhere else, but...

There was the mention of a rich text box control to be added to the reporter toolbox.

Can someone tell me if this was or was not added to ssrs 2008?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 1:41 PM
  • There is still only one textbox control in the toolbox, but the textbox control in RS 2008 has the ability to show richly formatted text. 

HTH,
    Robert
    Robert Bruckner   http://blogs.msdn.com/robertbruckner
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:09 PM
  • Thanks.

Iv'e dragged a field which contains rich text onto the designer and it still shows the rich text formatting characters. Is there a propery that I need to set?

John.
    Friday, May 1, 2009 9:06 AM
  • Select the field in the textbox, right-click which should open a context menu with "Placeholder properties" at the bottom.   Open the Placeholder properties dialog and on the general tab select the Markup type.  

Note: "richly formatted text" does not mean RTF (which is RichTextFormat), but rather HTML based style tags as documented here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd207048.aspx

HTH,
    Robert
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 11:25 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Sorry, you are correct, I mean RTF ({\rtf1....../par}).

Can we deal with this type of text in SSRS 2008?

Thanks

John.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 9:21 AM
  • RTF is not natively supported in RS 2008.  That said, I have seen customers integrate RTF either via custom assemblies or custom report items that translate RTF either into the supported set of HTML tags, or draw RTF as image data and display the image in the report - this is as close you can get currently.

Thanks,
    Robert
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 3:47 PM

Hope that helps,

-Lukasz

Hi Lukasz,

Any news on this?  Is this still on track?  Will the VS2010 release contain the updated ReportViewer code?

thanks,

Tracy
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Tracy - here's the rest of the details. 

VS 2010 Report Viewer - Local Mode: RTF like support, Word Rendering
    VS 2010 Report Viewer - Server Mode: RTF like support, Word Rendering

Hope that helps,
    -Lukasz

Got a bug or feature request? Tell me about it at http://connect.microsoft.com. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:57 PM
  • Definitely!  Thanks for the update :)
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:41 AM
  • Tracy - here's the rest of the details. 

VS 2010 Report Viewer - Local Mode: RTF like support, Word Rendering
    VS 2010 Report Viewer - Server Mode: RTF like support, Word Rendering

Hope that helps,
    -Lukasz

Got a bug or feature request? Tell me about it at http://connect.microsoft.com. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Hi Lukas,

Are the enhancements (html rendering and export to Word) to the local reportviewer control in the lastest CTP?

Thanks,

Update:  Please disregard.  I just read Brian Hartman's blog on it:

http://blogs.msdn.com/brianhartman/archive/2009/10/22/visual-studio-2010-beta-2-is-now-available.aspx
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:00 PM