TFS 2008 Unusable after SP1 Install RRS feed

• Question

• First I installed SP1, and it succeeded, or so it said.  Everything stopped working after that with various errors.  Could not use TFS at all at that point.  I uninstalled successfully, and now I get the following in Event Viewer:

TF53010: The following error has occurred in a Team Foundation component or extension:
    Date (UTC): 10/16/2008 9:13:10 PM
    Machine: TFS-SERVER
    Application Domain: /LM/W3SVC/1954450289/Root/WorkItemTracking-3-128686651888948047
    Assembly: Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Common, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a; v2.0.50727
    Process Details:
      Process Name: w3wp
      Process Id: 3160
      Thread Id: 3820
      Account name: HHM\tfs-service

Detailed Message: TF53002: Unable to obtain registration data for application VersionControl.
    Web Request Details
        Url: https://tfs-domain:8081/WorkItemTracking/v1.0/ClientService.asmx [method: POST]
        User Agent: Team Foundation (devenv.exe, 9.0.30729.1)
        Headers: Content-Length=1720&Content-Type=application%2fsoap%2bxml%3b+charset%3dutf-8%3b+action%3d%22http%3a%2f%2fschemas.microsoft.com%2fTeamFoundation%2f2005%2f06%2fWorkItemTracking%2fClientServices%2f03%2fGetMetadataEx2%22&Accept-Encoding=gzip&Accept-Language=en-US&Expect=100-continue&Host=tfs.srcnetworking.com%3a8081&User-Agent=Team+Foundation+(devenv.exe%2c+9.0.30729.1)&X-TFS-Version=1.0.0.0&X-TFS-Session=c200c25b-49fb-4cbe-a6cf-1dad7a94bdd7
        Path: /WorkItemTracking/v1.0/ClientService.asmx
        Local Request: False
        Host Address: 192.168.1.52
        User: domain\user [authentication type: NTLM]

Exception Message: TF30063: You are not authorized to access https://tfs-domain:8081/. (type TeamFoundationServerUnauthorizedException)

Exception Stack Trace:    at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.TeamFoundationSoapProxy.ThrowIfUnauthorized(HttpWebResponse response)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.TeamFoundationSoapProxy.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Proxy.BisRegistrationServiceProxyWsdl.GetRegistrationEntries(String toolId)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Proxy.BisRegistrationProxy.GetRegistrationEntries(String toolId)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Proxy.BisRegistrationService.RefreshMemoryCache()
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Proxy.BisRegistrationService.RefreshCachesIfNeeded(Boolean direct)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Proxy.BisRegistrationService.GetRegistrationEntries(String toolId)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.TeamFoundationApplication.GetRegistrationEntry(String toolName)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.TeamFoundationApplication.GetDatabaseConnectionString(String toolName, String dbName)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:20 PM

Answers

• Ok, found the solution to my problem here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfssetup/thread/ac550b99-12b1-427d-84e5-e1195233aa69/

However, I still have one problem still unsolved.  Everything seems to work, except in Team Explorer from a client machine gives me Red X's on every Reports folder for each project.  Have to figure out what's up there.  I hope it's just a permissions issue with Reporting Services or Sharepoint.  At least everything else is in working order however.

Had to ConfigureConnections with TFSAdminUtil to defaults (Netbios computer name with default ports).

After that, I installed SP1, and everything worked afterward (including the Reports folder for each project).  After that, I used the thread in the above link and made the necessary Registry Edit for loopbacks, and added the FQDN for our TFS server.  I then used TFSAdminUtil to ConfigureConnections again to use the SSL ports we set up and the FQDN.  Now I just have to get rid of the Red X on the Team Explorer Project Reports folders.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:33 PM
  • Not sure what exactly the issue was.  May have been something in the TFS/VS cache on the client machine.  I checked permissions in Sharepoint and the Reports_TFS site.  Didn't change anything.  I closed VS2008, cleared the cache, and then opened it back up and all the Reports folders were working again.  Looks like everything is working as it should be now.  Glad too, was afraid I'd been in for several hours of debugging yet another TFS installation/setup problem.  I hope the next version is a LOT simpler and easier to install/setup with less of a headache and better out of the box configuration support for setting up remote TFS over HTTPS/SSL.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:59 PM

All replies

• Ok, found the solution to my problem here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tfssetup/thread/ac550b99-12b1-427d-84e5-e1195233aa69/

However, I still have one problem still unsolved.  Everything seems to work, except in Team Explorer from a client machine gives me Red X's on every Reports folder for each project.  Have to figure out what's up there.  I hope it's just a permissions issue with Reporting Services or Sharepoint.  At least everything else is in working order however.

Had to ConfigureConnections with TFSAdminUtil to defaults (Netbios computer name with default ports).

After that, I installed SP1, and everything worked afterward (including the Reports folder for each project).  After that, I used the thread in the above link and made the necessary Registry Edit for loopbacks, and added the FQDN for our TFS server.  I then used TFSAdminUtil to ConfigureConnections again to use the SSL ports we set up and the FQDN.  Now I just have to get rid of the Red X on the Team Explorer Project Reports folders.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:33 PM
  • Not sure what exactly the issue was.  May have been something in the TFS/VS cache on the client machine.  I checked permissions in Sharepoint and the Reports_TFS site.  Didn't change anything.  I closed VS2008, cleared the cache, and then opened it back up and all the Reports folders were working again.  Looks like everything is working as it should be now.  Glad too, was afraid I'd been in for several hours of debugging yet another TFS installation/setup problem.  I hope the next version is a LOT simpler and easier to install/setup with less of a headache and better out of the box configuration support for setting up remote TFS over HTTPS/SSL.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:59 PM
  • Hi Trevor,

I'm glad everything is working for you now. I'm sorry that setup has been such a pain. If you have any other setup questions, feel free to ask, and hopefully, we'll be able to solve them before you do :)

--Aaron

Friday, October 17, 2008 1:58 PM
  • Aaron Block said:

Hi Trevor,

I'm glad everything is working for you now. I'm sorry that setup has been such a pain. If you have any other setup questions, feel free to ask, and hopefully, we'll be able to solve them before you do :)

--Aaron

When you get it working, I love TFS.  Getting it working and configured is just a lot of work is all, and it's very picky about things being set up perfectly.  Little things can keep it from setting up correctly.
    Friday, October 17, 2008 6:41 PM