none
Confirm Save to Web Server freeze

Question

• I am using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (32 bit) inside of Visual Studio Shell 2010.  It has been working fine but all of a sudden I am not able to close out my website project without getting a message that tells me, "A more recent version of the file 'file name here' has been saved to the Web on 'Date here'.  Do you want to replace the server file with your local file?" along with a Yes and No button.  It is frozen so I cannot choose either.  It doesn't matter even if I delete the whole local folder with all of the files - it still thinks it's there.  It's very annoying.  Any help is appreciated.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 5:54 PM

Answers

• I have since found a subfolder on my computer that contained a bunch of files created the day all of this happened.  I went ahead and changed the folder name and relaunched visual studio 10 shell and it worked fine.  I then proceeded to delete the folder.  However, after a day or two it started acting up again - not being able to save files since the server hadn't responded to the previous save so I went ahead and repaired the install of the shell.  I haven't used it much since but I have a strong feeling it still is very, very buggy.
    • Marked as answer by Lightstone Wednesday, February 3, 2016 4:47 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 4:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Lightstone,

According to your description, it works fine before. Please try reset settings for your Visual Studio through menu Tools -> Import and Export settings -> Reset all settings.

Then please check whether there has any updates installed before this problem occurs. You can check installed updates based on Installed on column from Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Installed updates. If installed, please uninstall one by one to check whether these updates cause this issue.

Besides, your Visual Studio connect to source control, is it right? Please change another account to make sure whether there has some problem with your account. Please also create a local project to check whether the problem is related to source control.

In addition, please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, January 28, 2016 6:19 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Weiwei.  I have done much of what you suggested.  I have reset all my settings but it's still a problem.  There were no updates to my visual studio recently.  My source control seems good.  I don't have another account and am unsure of how to accomplish changing to a new one.  I don't seem to have a ActiveLog.xml file on my computer.  Is there another file that logs problems?

Thank you!

Thursday, January 28, 2016 5:15 PM
  • Hi Lightstone,

If you don't have a ActiveLog.xml file on your computer, please turn off the /Log (devenv.exe) switch first and then operate your Visual Studio again. When freezing, please check the ActiveLog.xml file under %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0.

Do you have tried create a local project? Whether it is works fine or not? If new project also has this problem, please check the log file first.

If the new project works fine, there may be something in your project causes this problem. Please move the project files to a new blank project one by one to confirm which one causes this problem.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, January 29, 2016 1:40 AM
  • I have since found a subfolder on my computer that contained a bunch of files created the day all of this happened.  I went ahead and changed the folder name and relaunched visual studio 10 shell and it worked fine.  I then proceeded to delete the folder.  However, after a day or two it started acting up again - not being able to save files since the server hadn't responded to the previous save so I went ahead and repaired the install of the shell.  I haven't used it much since but I have a strong feeling it still is very, very buggy.
    • Marked as answer by Lightstone Wednesday, February 3, 2016 4:47 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 4:46 PM